Wister 11/24

parkermann

May 16, 2016
Had a #8 draw for wister today. My brother and I came up yesterday to scout. We found that certain parts of the refuge were loaded with spoonys. Plus we saw a good amount of widgeon, gadwall and pintail. We had a list of what blinds we wanted and we were able to get our number 1 choice.

I don’t know if it was the full moon or what but it was terribly slow. Very little shooting across the whole refuge. All the ducks that were in the pond the afternoon before were not there. We only had a few shot opportunities and ended with one spoony.

While the hunting did suck, the amount of ducks we saw the day before was a great sign. I think after the full moon goes away the bird counts are going to be a lot better.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Could be the full moon. I am hunting on it tomorrow anyway.

What time did you pack it in? Wister can shoot well mid morning to early afternoon. If you left too early you might have missed those birds you saw coming back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We picked it up around 10. We wanted to stay until the early afternoon thinking they would probably fly but we had somewhere to be today and couldn’t stay too late.

Had #7 at San J today... Same thing! Plenty of birds in the ponds yesterday, and gone today. Had to be that full moon!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: parkermann
there should be some new birds coming your guys way things are freeze up here in southern Utah I hunted a place today with a friend where the bird where two days ago was all frozen solid we saw less bird on this lake

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu