Wister Dirt Work

Rick,

Do you know, besides Chad, is there any "Hunters" advising them on location of islands and such?...Or is it just a square pond with 4 island blinds in the corners and one in the middle?.... (aka...S-22)

That’s unfortunate. This had potential but now we’re looking at a repeat of the Ys. I’m guessing these blinds will get left unhunted just like the Ys did last year on the opener.

You will need a Substantial amount of material to make a walk way to those island blinds. We are not NorCal and Wister is not SJ. The Wister mud is very difficult to walk in. I really feel for the older guys with orthopedic issues. I can do those walks but they suck and I am in good shape and work out. The placement of the island blinds really should be done after at least consulting with the Wister old guard. I am not dropping names but they are well known. I have talked to Chad. I have his number. You guys need to call him and give him your input. He is a hunter.

John

That’s unfortunate. This had potential but now we’re looking at a repeat of the Ys. I’m guessing these blinds will get left unhunted just like the Ys did last year on the opener.

The Y's ended the season with them being taken...Tules and unfortunately, salt cedar, had already started growing in "A"...They will probably plant millet in there this year and will look nothing like last year...They'll shoot better too.

The Y's ended the season with them being taken...Tules and unfortunately, salt cedar, had already started growing in "A"...They will probably plant millet in there this year and will look nothing like last year...They'll shoot better too.
Tules and salt cedar are inevitable down there. It’s a waste of time and effort to clear the entire pond only to have it grow right back to what is was.

To me, it makes more sense to leave all the brush, salt cedar and tules in the cells ALONE. Clear it 100 yards in all directions from the blind stake and plant feed in the cleared areas. This would give each blind site a large “pocket” of open water to hunt, and also give birds plenty of cover in the thick brush so they feel protected.

Countless “pockets” like this could be maintained this way in the same amount of time it takes them to clear an entire pond.

Tules and salt cedar are inevitable down there. It’s a waste of time and effort to clear the entire pond only to have it grow right back to what is was.

To me, it makes more sense to leave all the brush, salt cedar and tules in the cells ALONE. Clear it 100 yards in all directions from the blind stake and plant feed in the cleared areas. This would give each blind site a large “pocket” of open water to hunt, and also give birds plenty of cover in the thick brush so they feel protected.

Countless “pockets” like this could be maintained this way in the same amount of time it takes them to clear an entire pond.

I have preached this for years.................. ;)

Another new area with island blinds, do we get any say or its CWA money they choose for use ,I figured wister was public lands I could be wrong,I did send a email to central waterfowl associations got no response. Thats another area im not going to hunt thanks CWA for taking public input
SJWA in imperial county

Last edited:
As with many clubs, they should make a small dike or path to the blind. If not then at least put some gravel for a stable path. I really enjoyed shooting downward at ducks from the levees. That looks to be coming to an end.

Should be a option island or dike hunting .going to be same as SJwa mid season birds ar going to go around them skybusted island you dont have 100 yard mobility like a dike.you have sjwa supervisor still in control of wister that's what happened no public input.

Last edited:
Should be a dike and a option island or dike hunting .going to be same as SJwa mid season birds ar going to go around them skybusted island you dont have 100 yard mobility like a dike.you have sjwa supervisor still in control of wister that's what happened no public input.
You’re absolutely right. Birds key in on blinds and islands very quickly. Having the option to move north/south or into the water, even by 30yds, can have a huge benefits. If you make every blind an island, you’re limiting our options as hunters.

That being said, do I like hunting from islands? Yes. But, a single island with a standup blind in the middle of wide open water is not ideal, and in my opinion, ruins the pond and will be avoided by birds.

Either leave all the brush and clear a large hole around each blind stake like I stated above, or build multiple island and flats in each pond

Rick,

Do you know, besides Chad, is there any "Hunters" advising them on location of islands and such?...Or is it just a square pond with 4 island blinds in the corners and one in the middle?.... (aka...S-22)

Steve,

I don't know. I do know that CWA (Chadd) has attended the annual hunter meetings, and solicited input and gave presentations. I know those annual meetings have not always been 'annual' (as required). It really is important that SoCal hunters attend those meetings and give their feedback. Stay in contact with staff and with CWA.

To All:

The process basically goes like this for any work, on any area in the state: CWA works with local staff to identify units that need improvements, etc. CWA then writes the grants proposals, and works very hard to get awarded the funding needed. Then CWA works on the design, the engineering, and manages the construction.

It's my understanding that designs are based on creating the largest wetland units possible based upon water supply. They do that to reduce the amount maintenance required for the infrastructure, over time. I believe they keep everything as level or flat as possible to help with water usage and management.

And I understand they integrate blind locations into the design based upon safe distances and locations that reflect the layout of the new unit.

I know many of you do not feel like DFW staff has not reached out to hunters for advise and support . Its frustrating, no question. I know that at the annual meetings in the grasslands and Sac valley, a lot of hunters participate. The meetings get into detail...down to blind placements, habitat changes etc. Your voices should be heard, and you should be able to reach out to staff year-long, and have an opportunity to hear why they do what they do. Reach out and find out when this year's public hunter input meeting will take place, and attend. Tell them you want a few hours of a meeting...and not just a one hour, one-sided presentation type of meeting. It seems to me that is what has happened in the past couple of SoCal meetings I listened in on. It was so quick, there really seemed to only be time for them to tell us what was being done, and not enough of listening to hunter questions and input. You are the ones that have to Advocate for your refuge.

Last edited:
Definitely not happening in southern California no public communication with are wildlife area management .management in so cal work remotely from home .the meeting last year management was showing picture of areas and progress for that season,picture where 3 years old got luv it .all hang it up if I have to go to northern California to hunt waterfowl.

Duck fan , Rick , I’m about done with this whole situation . You are correct in all you say about what SHOULD take place and cite the success of the Grasslands and Sacramento refuges where meetings with plan sharing and hunter input take place as they were intended . However to imply the hunters at Wister are the problem is totally false in my opinion . There was a time when we did have input opportunities and could also provide direct aid to management in the care of “Our Duck Club” . I’m not politically savvy but when the person at the top of the management pyramid doesn’t require the refuge manager to implement the States guidelines on meetings for input and sharing plans for work year after year and manager after manager I believe we can infer where the problem starts . I’ve heard , and maybe correctly, that we are lucky to get anyone to run Wister . Also the shortfalls of equipment and resources to work the Refuge have necessitated the projects being provided by CWA and Ducks Unlimited . Where with no hunter input we get what has happened and continues to happen with these projects . Hunter numbers continue to be substantial because we have so few options . I would gladly drive the 175 miles to have an announced hunter/management meeting open to anyone with a face to face dialog . Too late for this season but meet now to plan for NEXT season . Scott should attend as well as Chris . Maybe Chad should sit in too . As I said I’m about done but care strongly that this should be fixed . From the top down . Sincerely, Larry Wise aka Oldquack 49

Iv been attempting to get 413 fixed for 4 season ,if you snow hunt you probably figured out the reason they dont go north overgrown 413 (alkalibullrush DFW mistake scott said the same ,hopefully this year. Definitely not the hunter issue poor management are supervisor are working at home they dont want to hear from the public .like I said there posting 3 year old picture for last year meeting gosh man be honest. Rick Francis /scott really screwed wister up .

Duck fan , Rick , I’m about done with this whole situation . You are correct in all you say about what SHOULD take place and cite the success of the Grasslands and Sacramento refuges where meetings with plan sharing and hunter input take place as they were intended . However to imply the hunters at Wister are the problem is totally false in my opinion . There was a time when we did have input opportunities and could also provide direct aid to management in the care of “Our Duck Club” . I’m not politically savvy but when the person at the top of the management pyramid doesn’t require the refuge manager to implement the States guidelines on meetings for input and sharing plans for work year after year and manager after manager I believe we can infer where the problem starts . I’ve heard , and maybe correctly, that we are lucky to get anyone to run Wister . Also the shortfalls of equipment and resources to work the Refuge have necessitated the projects being provided by CWA and Ducks Unlimited . Where with no hunter input we get what has happened and continues to happen with these projects . Hunter numbers continue to be substantial because we have so few options . I would gladly drive the 175 miles to have an announced hunter/management meeting open to anyone with a face to face dialog . Too late for this season but meet now to plan for NEXT season . Scott should attend as well as Chris . Maybe Chad should sit in too . As I said I’m about done but care strongly that this should be fixed . From the top down . Sincerely, Larry Wise aka Oldquack 49
I did not think I implied the hunters were the problem. I certainly do not think that! And I agree, and advocate, that all those staffers be held accountable, and meet with hunters more than just an hour once a year ( if that).

I wasn’t trying to be critical of you as I believe you are a real asset to us SoCal duckers . What I was referring to was asking us to advocate for change in the way Wister is run . Many of us have advocated and encouraged a more active role in decision making by the hunters only to be ignored or marginalized. It’s management, Scott and Chris, that should be hearing our desire to be involved more fully . Not in a 1 hour tele conference which won’t include many of the experienced group that don’t communicate that way . Just as the decision to make all refigured pond blinds islands eliminates most older Wister hunters . The direction of better , required involvement and communication shout come from the top not just the hunters . Thanks again for caring and putting this before the ears of people who need to hear this . Your friend, Larry aka Oldquack 49

A few years ago Brian and I had a conversation with a CWA person (yes I am being very vague) about the lack of CWA members in So Cal. I told him point blank as most of you know I have no problems speaking my mind. I told him that the CWA F'd up Wister by removing the 312 strip island and adding the swalls for starters and the hunters are pissed.

But ultimately the work being done there is OK'd by Wister management.

Until the Wister management drops the idea that Moonscaping is a good strategy things wont change much

Its crazy that its been 10 plus years since I stopped hunting there and the same BS is going on

CWA should set the meeting with hunter & discuss with DFW. non profit organizations sponsored by hunters , they destroy the alkalibullrush moonscraping needs to be relocated .they only plant millet, Y15 scott said will have swamp Timothy this year lol

Last edited:
Reactions: KID CREOLE

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu