Wister pit blinds?

Driz

Oct 3, 2019
OC
Does Wister have any actual blinds like pits or hogwire or is it all BYOB? Only going to be my second time ever hunting it this coming Sunday on a ressie after finding this out my first time out a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
You will most likely find an existing blind made from Arrowweed. I usually bring some extra arrowweed or other material to spruce it up.

Wister actually has 3 hog wire blinds or they did....S20-1&3 ( CWA reworked this field) and 312C-1...Hazard Unit is part of Wister's hunting sites and they have pit blinds...Although, you're not required to use them (you can move100' from stake).

For a Sunday? all you will need is a lot of LUCK. You would be better off in the sweat line on saturday IMO.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Get your own arroweed, it grows everywhere. Bring twine or a couple 2' bungees & make a bundle or 2. If you rely on a blind already being built it may not be there. Even the pit blinds in hazard require bringing your own cover.
Is it just me or do people not want to work for what they hunt anymore? Not saying this is you because you are new to Wister. If you hunt SJ much then that explains it.

No one enjoys having to get arroweed & haul it out along with all the other stuff we bring, but the alternative of having to hunt a fixed location in a pit blind or any other fixed location blind, can suck when the birds want to be 100 yards away. Do the work & adjust if needed. If not, there are other places to go that provide pre-made blinds.

Why do you think more people don't hunt my area. It takes a shit ton of work

Yep...Don't be these guys...lol

.View attachment 47562
That photo reminds me of when we were at Wister a few weeks ago. On the drive back to the check station around noon there was a guy standing on the side of Scaup close to where it turns onto Davis, He had thrown some mallard decoys into the water right next to the road, the water wasn’t even cleared, it still had the natural bushes growing in it. He wasn’t even trying to hide, he was just standing next to the road with his shotgun. He must have been a dove hunter who just assumed duck hunting is done the same way. I regret not stopping to talk to him, I should have warned him to stop at the very least! I wouldn’t want to be him when the warden stops by!

That photo reminds me of when we were at Wister a few weeks ago. On the drive back to the check station around noon there was a guy standing on the side of Scaup close to where it turns onto Davis, He had thrown some mallard decoys into the water right next to the road, the water wasn’t even cleared, it still had the natural bushes growing in it. He wasn’t even trying to hide, he was just standing next to the road with his shotgun. He must have been a dove hunter who just assumed duck hunting is done the same way. I regret not stopping to talk to him, I should have warned him to stop at the very least! I wouldn’t want to be him when the warden stops by!

DHWW...…..Dove hunter with waders

Reactions: Hunter527
Sprig and H527, The photos and comments provide conclusive evidence as to why waterfowling needs to be mentored by someone that knows. I can't thank NBK enough for getting me started way back when (thirty years plus) and then 'Just my game" myself and NBK working together to expand on what we were trying to do. Best thing you can do if you want to hunt waterfowl is find a mentor otherwise you stand a good chance of being "that guy"

Trig, funniest picture I've seen in a long time :clap: D.H.W.W. true to form . Seen you got some Western Outdoor News Article in Paper

Reactions: ilovesprig
Trig, funniest picture I've seen in a long time :clap: D.H.W.W. true to form . Seen you got some Western Outdoor News Article in Paper

Billy,

Ernie asked for a couple of pix...And the next thing I know, he writes a full flown article...lol

.082.JPG

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu