Wister - Saturday 12/11

kal-elk

Aug 21, 2021
Repurposing this thread, instead of filling this forum with similar posts.

Current requeset is for Saturday, December 11th at Wister.

Hello All,

Drew #85 this time around. Again, not ideal but better than sweatlining/nothing.

Learned a lot my last outing with Mike, unfortuantely he wasn't available. Hoping I can trade a res and work for someone to show me the ropes.

I have all my own personal gear (camo, waders, blind bag, shotgun, ammo, etc.). All I've got for decoys at the moment are a couple ripplers.

If you're interested, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Ruben

Last edited:
Dang Ruben,

That must have been everyone's lucky day....I have a #4, 5, 14, and a 96....All at Wister.... All on 11-13......:joy:

I mean, great for everyone! Not gonna knock others for getting their best opportunities.

Maybe worst case scenario I could convince you to to pick my spot for me...?

I live in National City, south San Diego County.
Nice to see another person on the forum from the South Bay. I'm down in IB. I'm still new to waterfowling..last season was my first season. I got to hunt Wister 3 times and San J once with legend himself @ilovesprig ..Im still really green but if you can't find anyone to join you I'd be willing to tag along and share what I've learned. I have around 20 decoys as well.

Jorge

Reactions: kal-elk
Nice to see another person on the forum from the South Bay. I'm down in IB. I'm still new to waterfowling..last season was my first season. I got to hunt Wister 3 times and San J once with legend himself @ilovesprig ..Im still really green but if you can't find anyone to join you I'd be willing to tag along and share what I've learned. I have around 20 decoys as well.

Jorge

Light green is better than going in alone as a dark green!

I'll provide you with an update at beginning of the week, thanks!

Things are tough this time of year at Wister, San J, and most duck clubs....Just a fact....I may even burn my #14 at The Wis....Dove, pheasant, and "The 16" are calling my name.

Reactions: DMAX
I'm going to be out there this weekend too. The dog sent me an invite on a 40 somthing res.... decided I'd live dangerously. If I don't make it back you all know why. Bringing the ear pro.

Update:

Met up with @kal-elk and after choosing a blind new to the both of us we got to the parking spot and spent around 25 min trying to find our blind then after a few trips of gear, blind building and setting out 2 dozen decoys we got set up right before shooting light..shots were ringing all around but we had no ducks even remotely nearby once the the time came. I could hear coots landing in the ponds behind us but nothing by us. The morning came and went.. I only saw one pair of ducks 60+ yds away but weren't they interested in our decoys and I wasn't going to take that far of a shot as they were flying away from us. Had a few coots and a pair of ruddies far out in the distance but besides that it was dead in our pond..I've only been out a handful of times but it was the slowest morning I've encountered. We packed it up around 10am as the shooting died off and the sun started to beat down on us. Had fun and hope to get drawn later in the season when it cools down and the mosquitos aren't out lol

Reactions: ilovesprig
Update:

Met up with @kal-elk and after choosing a blind new to the both of us we got to the parking spot and spent around 25 min trying to find our blind then after a few trips of gear, blind building and setting out 2 dozen decoys we got set up right before shooting light..shots were ringing all around but we had no ducks even remotely nearby once the the time came. I could hear coots landing in the ponds behind us but nothing by us. The morning came and went.. I only saw one pair of ducks 60+ yds away but weren't they interested in our decoys and I wasn't going to take that far of a shot as they were flying away from us. Had a few coots and a pair of ruddies far out in the distance but besides that it was dead in our pond..I've only been out a handful of times but it was the slowest morning I've encountered. We packed it up around 10am as the shooting died off and the sun started to beat down on us. Had fun and hope to get drawn later in the season when it cools down and the mosquitos aren't out lol
Sounds similar to the spot the dog picked... and of course it was a blind location he had been to before, knew sucked, but forgot the number and picked it again anyways. I managed to drop a duck with my first shot but they were not too interested in our little spot out there despite the dog's calls which I'm not gonna lie is pretty good. I insisted we drive up and down the parking lot access levees and rate a bunch of sites before leaving. Am I ever glad I did that. Only my first time out there and I was smart enough to gather intel on more blind locations than some of my buddies that have been dozens of times already. I'm only going into the blinds blind once.

The mosquitos sucked. At least I could laugh at how they were going after Larry the most.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu