Wister youth hunt...so unprepared

fraginator

Nov 20, 2013
Oak Hills
When I checked on the CDFW website last week I somehow missed that my son had a successful draw for Wister on 2/4. I got the mail today and was surprised to find a CDFW reservation letter.

So, his reservation number is 95, which from what I gather is pretty bad. I know very little about how Wister works, we've never been duck hunting before. All we have is a shotgun, a rubber raft and our charm. No calls, no decoys and basically no clue. Is this something we'll be able to just show up and do? I really don't know how much I can prepare with basically one day. Any group wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Well decoys would help, even a couple if you could pick some up with decoy rigs to make it easy. Probably even can get some at the trailer down at wister . Waders are kind of necessary but if it's not cold you could just get a little wet putting decoy out and retrieving birds. No need for a raft, wister is assigned blinds. I say go for it and make it a great time. Great dinner/raffle Saturday night too I believe. Will be a great time for your kid

Just noticed you said a ressi for Sunday. I would try to show up for the Saturday hunt. Like 4 am if possible. I'm sure you will get on and have much better hunting than Sunday. Good luck

Just noticed you said a ressi for Sunday. I would try to show up for the Saturday hunt. Like 4 am if possible. I'm sure you will get on and have much better hunting than Sunday. Good luck

Thank you, I plan to pick up decoys at bass pro on the way out. Won't be able to make it Saturday morning but I plan to get out in the afternoon on just to check it out. I also checked the temps and with 85˚ in the forecast it won't be so bad getting wet.

X2. Despite the 85 degree weather, sitting in the blind with wet and muddy feet will be no fun. Pick up some cheap fishing waders now, then after you hunt you'll be hooked on ducks and you can invest in some nice hunting breathables, which you may find on sale in the next month or two once season is over.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu