Bad Luck with RCBS??

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
So I decided to buy my own reloading equipment after spending the last year or so reloading with friends. I purchases a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit along with a couple other RCBS items. Right out of the gate, I pulled my scale out and it was way off (8 grams on 180 grain bullet, 4 grains on a 127 grain bullet). After re-calibrating several times and pouring through the parts list I noticed that a screw and washer were missing from the main poise. Instead of returning I figured I would reach out to RCBS directly, which to their credit they responded right away and are sending me a new one (except their shop is closed because of COVID19 so who knows when I will get it).

Now after decapping and cleaning my brass, I decided to start trimming...so I pulled out my brand new RCBS trimmer and it is missing BOTH adjustment bushings...now I have no idea what I am going to do. This is ridiculous and even though they will probably send me a new one of those as well I don't think I can trust RCBS anymore. Maybe they only had returned ones in stock a month ago when I bought everything??

About to ship everything back and buy Redding because this is ridiculous.

So I decided to buy my own reloading equipment after spending the last year or so reloading with friends. I purchases a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit along with a couple other RCBS items. Right out of the gate, I pulled my scale out and it was way off (8 grams on 180 grain bullet, 4 grains on a 127 grain bullet). After re-calibrating several times and pouring through the parts list I noticed that a screw and washer were missing from the main poise. Instead of returning I figured I would reach out to RCBS directly, which to their credit they responded right away and are sending me a new one (except their shop is closed because of COVID19 so who knows when I will get it).

Now after decapping and cleaning my brass, I decided to start trimming...so I pulled out my brand new RCBS trimmer and it is missing BOTH adjustment bushings...now I have no idea what I am going to do. This is ridiculous and even though they will probably send me a new one of those as well I don't think I can trust RCBS anymore. Maybe they only had returned ones in stock a month ago when I bought everything??

I don't want to sound negative but I have nothing but luck with RCBS. I understand your frustration but, This could be 1 in a several thousand incidents. Your situation is not the only issue impacted with the COVID 19. What about people relying on meds or medical equipment that they can't get during these times. Patients will prevail. Call them directly and see what they can do to support you during these trying times.

I don't want to sound negative but I have nothing but luck with RCBS. I understand your frustration but, This could be 1 in a several thousand incidents. Your situation is not the only issue impacted with the COVID 19. What about people relying on meds or medical equipment that they can't get during these times. Patients will prevail. Call them directly and see what they can do to support you during these trying times.

Yeah I definitely understand that COVID19 makes things difficult and my frustration wasn't with that...my frustration is that I made two separate orders (one from Bass Pro, the other from Midway), both shipped with missing critical pieces (making the trimmer useless and in the case of the balance beam extremely dangerous). I know most people have received great quality products from them in the past (that is why I bought theirs), but I am just not sure if their new stuff is to the same standard or if I can trust them. I also noticed that the trimmer head was chipped...

I mainly posted this for people looking at these kits to thoroughly inspect all reloading tools when you receive them. Just do not assume RCBS will be shipped good to go.

@JakeSCH did you call midway and bps? that is your first line to make it right. it sounds like you got a returned to stock item and the fault might lay with midway and bps. i have found the customer service at both to be good if not excellent. bet they make it right with you.

never trust anything when reloading. always check your scales with check weights. i check loads from my digital scale on my beam all the time.

its easy on the interweb to bash companies but the least you can do is call the place you bought it from first before going on a bombing run

@JakeSCH did you call midway and bps? that is your first line to make it right. it sounds like you got a returned to stock item and the fault might lay with midway and bps. i have found the customer service at both to be good if not excellent. bet they make it right with you.

never trust anything when reloading. always check your scales with check weights. i check loads from my digital scale on my beam all the time.

its easy on the interweb to bash companies but the least you can do is call the place you bought it from first before going on a bombing run

I've been attempting to call them both, but with COVID 19 going on both are under staffed and i've been on hold for about an hour before it disconnects...and I agree the fault could be with those companies sending off returned items. Both companies charge to return by mail as well.

Lol I guess being cooped up with reloading on the brain (obsessively I admit) made me blow a gasket. Most likely it all has to do with COVID 19 so I am here bitching about my first world problems and I agree that is not what I should be doing.

Hrmm. Thanks for sharing your RCBS experience. Eventually I want to upgrade from this first Lee hand Press I bought. So good to know about these exerpiences. Thanks.

All could have been avoided - shop local my friend...I am sure your local store has everything you need and then some.

BTW - RCBS has moved quite a bit of their production off shore. Long are the days where they made product in Orville California. Redding is family owned and made in USA. They are currently closed and weathering out the Covid storm.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
All could have been avoided - shop local my friend...I am sure your local store has everything you need and then some.

BTW - RCBS has moved quite a bit of their production off shore. Long are the days where they made product in Orville California. Redding is family owned and made in USA. They are currently closed and weathering out the Covid storm.

I know. I am kicking myself for trying to save a buck, I should have just went to the shop.

yes but there a pandemic cloud over us.
I like looking at stuff first hand..

Well to RCBS's credit they mailed me a new balance beam scale and I just got it today, no forms or paperwork just took about two weeks which I am happy about considering they are shut down. Now hopefully they can process my case trimmer the same way.

Good news is that the new beam scale matches my little digital scale.

Reactions: cadeerhunter
Well to RCBS's credit they mailed me a new balance beam scale and I just got it today, no forms or paperwork just took about two weeks which I am happy about considering they are shut down. Now hopefully they can process my case trimmer the same way.

Good news is that the new beam scale matches my little digital scale.
Hang in there. They should come through and take great care of your needs.

I run the Hornady set up. Never had an issue. You get what you pay for. A little investment for the Hornady but well worth it. this is the trimmer you want to get. By far the best and fastest worth every penny. FBBFDDE7-75C7-4F4C-9290-1219C48DC21D.jpeg

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I was able to get a hold of RCBS today and they are taking care of the Pro - Trimmer 2 as well, should be here in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: cadeerhunter
I run the Hornady set up. Never had an issue. You get what you pay for. A little investment for the Hornady but well worth it. this is the trimmer you want to get. By far the best and fastest worth every penny.

haha I guess you don't always get what you paid for. The RCBS trimmer is nearly 1.5x the price of the hornady...at least their customer service is sending me new ones, that is a plus.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu