X9C

Feb 22, 2013
Hey all, so most of you know draw results are out and I ended up drawing x9c. Therefor I’ve never even looked at this unit so if anyone is willing to fill me in on anything about this unit I would greatly appreciate it! Hopefully I don’t upset anyone about asking this lol! Hope y’all drew what you wanted!

No problem in drawing a unit you have never been to. I have a few buddies who drew the same tag this year. I reccomend using the burn layer on ONX maps. Look for areas that have burnt in the last 3 years and hunt them. ONX and google earth are your best friends.

Reactions: socalhntr4
mud pigeon, haven't explored any of the x units and I knew I had a shot at drawing with 4 points so no matter where I chose it would be a shot in the dark.

mud pigeon, haven't explored any of the x units and I knew I had a shot at drawing with 4 points so no matter where I chose it would be a shot in the dark.

Congrats on drawing the tag! For future reference, the draw is something you can strategize for, and I hope this doesn’t come as bad news to you but you can draw X9C with one point. The big game book gives you an idea of what kind of points it takes to get each tag. If you don’t feel confident making the decision based on that information, there are also services that will tell you how many points it takes to draw a particular hunt. GoHunt is one of those services. Also feel free to ask here or on other sites, there are lots of people who have been applying for years and have the system pretty wired. You were probably pretty close to being able to draw X9A for example.

I think X9C is a good zone, if you’re willing to work hard. The zone can produce big deer and you can hunt them anywhere from the Owen’s river all the way up to the top of the White Mountains. Get maps and start studying. Highly recommend OnX maps if you don’t already have it. There is a lot of public land there. Go scout this summer!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
If one studies the % of filled tags in each X zone and results in Dept. Of fish & wild life tags filled is a good clue. Study the terrain before deciding. One has to have good physical and mental state. For rougher areas. One my friends has horses. And rides up the high country.

Pray for weather to push them down, Helped a buddy with it in 2010, weather came in and chased it us of the mountain three days in a row on the fourth it cleared and they were coming down nice to tail. My buddy ended up shooting a nice four by four.

Got it. It is known as a pretty tough hunt with some rough terrain if you leave the valley floor. You could have got a much better unit to the north with your points. Hopefully you're in good hiking shape, have some good optics and can make it up before the season to scout. Have fun and good luck!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu