Zone D15 Hunting Questions

aaronframe

Oct 27, 2021
Hey All,

New member and poster here. I've hunted many times out of state but this is my first time hunting in CA. I decided on D15 (although im not opposed to D11), and Had some questions for some people who've hunted it, plus Im new to CA so I have some Reg Questions too.
1. Im assuming Blaze Orange isnt a requirement here in CA, and neither is attached proof of sex (Meaning I dont have to have the scrotum attached when I report it, Just take the quartered carcass and Rack in to get signed off on.
2. Looking into the good ole OnX Maps, I see a large part of it is designated under the CLE National Forest, im sure that is all huntable just be careful of any Private boundary lines, correct?
Im well prepared to hike alot, thats nothing Im not used to. I have solid set of Binos and im prepared for the weather.
3. Does anyone in the area know of a butchery that would be willing to process and seal up anything I bring them? I left my processing equipment back home out of state.

Wondering if anyone has any general areas the suggest to park for the day as a staging area as well. Ive read that the Fisherman's Camp Trail is a good peel-off point as well as the San Mateo Wilderness Area. (Yes, Im also aware that you should probably purchase a day-parking pass).
I plan to hunt for 3 days, right at the end of the Rifle Season, its the only time I could get off of work unfortunately.

Im taking up my .308, and my buddy is taking my .22 in case we see a jack or a squirrel, which I read are both no-season in the area.
I'm pumped to try the new area and challenge myself with some terrain that is different from where I've hunted out of state before.
If anyone has any response to these questions, or advice, or even suggestions on Zone D-11 instead, I'm all ears. Thanks to anyone taking the time to read and/or respond to this!

1. Blaze orange not required though probably advisable. For deer, antlers are fine as proof of sex.
2. Decent of amount of private interspersed with CNF lands so be aware. Also be advised of CNF specific rules on hunting:
"No Hunting within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, other building, any barn or outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 150 yard area is a Safety Zone.​
"No Hunting within 150 yards of campgrounds, trails, fire stations, any national forest building, across any body of water, off-highway vehicle areas, and private property within the boundary of the Forest (unless the hunter has the permission of the property owner). Rifle, firearm, or crossbow hunting is not allowed at any time within the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area (only archery hunting during season)."​
3. If you're looking for processor local to D15 Electric City Butcher in Santa Ana processes wild game. I used them once a few years ago and was happy with them.

Reactions: aaronframe
1. Blaze orange not required though probably advisable. For deer, antlers are fine as proof of sex.
2. Decent of amount of private interspersed with CNF lands so be aware. Also be advised of CNF specific rules on hunting:
"No Hunting within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, other building, any barn or outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 150 yard area is a Safety Zone.​
"No Hunting within 150 yards of campgrounds, trails, fire stations, any national forest building, across any body of water, off-highway vehicle areas, and private property within the boundary of the Forest (unless the hunter has the permission of the property owner). Rifle, firearm, or crossbow hunting is not allowed at any time within the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area (only archery hunting during season)."​
3. If you're looking for processor local to D15 Electric City Butcher in Santa Ana processes wild game. I used them once a few years ago and was happy with them.
Just called Electric City, they were very helpful. Thanks for the suggestion and the tips! Any idea about good staging spots in the area, or have you not yet hunted this zone?

Yeah so whats the specifics? I read in the regs that Jackrabbits were fair game, and so were common squirrels excluding Tree & Grey Squirrels

Tree/bushy tail/gray squirrels are the same....Basically legal to shoot north of Kern Co ( see regs)...Ground squirrels are legal to shoot year round.

Gray squirrel and California ground squirrel...One is edible, one isn't....Although, Larry might argue this point.....:yum

,024.JPG025.JPG006.JPG

Tree/bushy tail/gray squirrels are the same....Basically legal to shoot north of Kern Co ( see regs)...Ground squirrels are legal to shoot year round.

Gray squirrel and California ground squirrel...One is edible, one isn't....Although, Larry might argue this point.....:yum

,View attachment 51765View attachment 51766View attachment 51767
So, to clarify, ground squirrels like the ones pictures, are fair game with no permit to hunt them side from a hunting license i’d assume of course.

Hey All,

New member and poster here. I've hunted many times out of state but this is my first time hunting in CA. I decided on D15 (although im not opposed to D11), and Had some questions for some people who've hunted it, plus Im new to CA so I have some Reg Questions too.
1. Im assuming Blaze Orange isnt a requirement here in CA, and neither is attached proof of sex (Meaning I dont have to have the scrotum attached when I report it, Just take the quartered carcass and Rack in to get signed off on.
2. Looking into the good ole OnX Maps, I see a large part of it is designated under the CLE National Forest, im sure that is all huntable just be careful of any Private boundary lines, correct?
Im well prepared to hike alot, thats nothing Im not used to. I have solid set of Binos and im prepared for the weather.
3. Does anyone in the area know of a butchery that would be willing to process and seal up anything I bring them? I left my processing equipment back home out of state.

Wondering if anyone has any general areas the suggest to park for the day as a staging area as well. Ive read that the Fisherman's Camp Trail is a good peel-off point as well as the San Mateo Wilderness Area. (Yes, Im also aware that you should probably purchase a day-parking pass).
I plan to hunt for 3 days, right at the end of the Rifle Season, its the only time I could get off of work unfortunately.

Im taking up my .308, and my buddy is taking my .22 in case we see a jack or a squirrel, which I read are both no-season in the area.
I'm pumped to try the new area and challenge myself with some terrain that is different from where I've hunted out of state before.
If anyone has any response to these questions, or advice, or even suggestions on Zone D-11 instead, I'm all ears. Thanks to anyone taking the time to read and/or respond to this!
Does anyone by chance have any suggestions as to what trailhead to park at and peel off from? Im familiar with the area via OnX only, didnt have much scout time this time.

Does anyone by chance have any suggestions as to what trailhead to park at and peel off from? Im familiar with the area via OnX only, didnt have much scout time this time.

As a FYI that is a big no no on almost all hunting forums. A major part in hunting is figuring out where to hunt...some may send you a private message but it's unlikely in a general zone.

Im curious to know how it went. I live in D15 and am looking to get into deer next season, hopefully I can find someone that is willing to hunt with me too, as I have never gone before.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu