Zone D16 General Rifle

Zach Jones

Oct 21, 2016
Hi all, it's my first time on SCH and coincidentally my first time trying to take a deer in zone d16.
I am 20 years old and have grown up bird hunting in San Diego county but have never taken a deer in my life. If I miraculously am successful, I will post photos of my first buck here!
Thanks to Fine Firearms in La Mesa for hooking me up with a Ruger All American in 30-06 a couple years back -- now to use it on something other than coyotes!

Roll call for general rifle opener tomorrow!

well Done, Zach! But where's your smiling head and the story? Would love to hear the story and see the full picture....unless you're camera shy, then a story will do.

well Done, Zach! But where's your smiling head and the story? Would love to hear the story and see the full picture....unless you're camera shy, then a story will do.

Oops! Didn't realize I posted the cut off one. But the story is a good one: started hiking into a deep valley before first light, fully outfitted for an entire weekend of searching for a glimpse of a legal buck.
Within the first 30 minutes of sunrise, we (my dad and I) see a buck sun bathing in a field. By the time we maneuver over to check him out, he's gone. But right before we start walking away again, a doe and a buck start bolting down a neighboring mountainside, scared from some noisy hikers. I spend about 20 minutes waiting for the perfect shot, and it comes when he's about 150 yards away, side facing me.
Even better than the fact that my time came early in the morning on the first day of my season, we were only about a mile from the car -- luck, I tell you.

.image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops! Didn't realize I posted the cut off one. But the story is a good one: started hiking into a deep valley before first light, fully outfitted for an entire weekend of searching for a glimpse of a legal buck.
Within the first 30 minutes of sunrise, we (my dad and I) see a buck sun bathing in a field. By the time we maneuver over to check him out, he's gone. But right before we start walking away again, a doe and a buck start bolting down a neighboring mountainside, scared from some noisy hikers. I spend about 20 minutes waiting for the perfect shot, and it comes when he's about 150 yards away, side facing me.
Even better than the fact that my time came early in the morning on the first day of my season, we were only about a mile from the car -- luck, I tell you.

.View attachment 28642
Awesome buck brother!

That is a good memory for you Zach. As they say, chance favors the prepared mind. Good for you to be ready when your chance came.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu