The "Henshaw" is happening

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Fished Henshaw 3 times this last week and the bass fishing was excellent each day...Also, fishing El Cap on Tuesday, but it was pretty slow...Only 6 fish.........:blush:

The big news is I caught some crappie at "The Shaw"...I was really afraid that they had all died off on the big fish kill 2 years ago and not a single crappie reported last year...........:yum

el cap 5-7-24.JPGel capitan 5-7-24.JPGIMG_5439.JPGIMG_2196 - Copy.JPGhenshaw bass 5-12-24.JPGIMG_5870.JPG

Good work, Steve! Didn't that lake used to be unbelievable for crappie a few years back?

Dam Steve
I had a friend, like you she could caught a lot.
See has gone to heaven now.
I going have to see if I can use my kayak there. I love crappie, good eating.

So my guess is when a species (crappie in this case) has been stressed and is recovering we should leave them alone like we did with the turkeys a few years back. Any thoughts anyone ?

I would say comparing crappie and turkeys would be like comparing apples and oranges....There's 100's of willow trees in Henshaw right now with the high lake level....I found one that we caught 4 crappie off of....Don't think that would have much impact on a fish that is very cyclic and can number in the 1,000's....:rolleyes:

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I would say comparing crappie and turkeys would be like comparing apples and oranges....There's 100's of willow trees in Henshaw right now with the high lake level....I found one that we caught 4 crappie off of....Don't think that would have much impact on a fish that is very cyclic and can number in the 1,000's....:rolleyes:
Got it, I understand what you are saying.

It’s an unheralded bass lake. I believe they’re northern strain, not the floridas that get all the press. The Shaw is also the best crappie and catfish lake I know of. Keep nailing those toads Steve!

Reactions: ilovesprig
It’s an unheralded bass lake. I believe they’re northern strain, not the floridas that get all the press. The Shaw is also the best crappie and catfish lake I know of. Keep nailing those toads Steve!

Kevin,

I'm pretty sure Florida's were put into the lake in the early 80's and I think Barrett is the only lake that still has pure strain Northern's....The lake record for bass at Henshaw is 15-4 lbs...Most certainly not a Northern....;)

I don't know for sure want they are, but they fight as hard as any bass I've ever caught....:p

henshaw 4-26-24.JPG

Reactions: WaterDawg
So my guess is when a species (crappie in this case) has been stressed and is recovering we should leave them alone like we did with the turkeys a few years back. Any thoughts anyone ?
Crappie are usually on a 7 year cycle..the size and numbers peak around every 7 years then they drop and so on and so forth..at least from what I've read.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Great stuff Stevo! Some slabs you got there and those tacos look killer! I got on a good bite on Tuesday with some friends..only caught 2 worth making tacos out of. One was a little over a pound and 14" long. Caught 20 crappie 12 small mouth and 2 rainbows. All caught on hand tied jigs. The smaller crappies were kept to use as sturgeon bait..I hooked up on a 6+ footer but came off the hook 10 min into the fight.
We caught 56 crappie between 3 of us. Last week my buddies caught 256. The bite was definitely on fire.

A buddy ties jigs if anyone is interested.

20240513_193515.jpg

20240513_190113.jpg

20240513_190121.jpg

20240513_212939.jpg

20240513_200215.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu