00 Day until Duck Season!

I hunted Wister for the opener, with a sweatline draw of 30. I was one of the last ones to get on the refuge. I was surprised that they didn't go sooner, but all that was left were the Hazzard units. I got down there a little late, and the shooting started at 6:10, 10 minutes early (not me, but all the yahoos on the main part of the area). The birds were flying pretty good over Hazzard, lots of teal and spoons. But I was still making my 2nd trip to the blind at legal shooting time, and missed a pretty good chunk of the morning flight. I got a few shots off, but it was like shooting at F-14s with the afterburners lit. I missed most of the shots I took. As things calmed down, I tossed out my decoys, but the birds wouldn't come to me, not even to check things out. They all landed on the other side of the pond. I couldn't hunt the evening, so I ended up with 2 cinnamon teal and a coot. Yeah, that's right, I can waterswat a coot with the best of them.

DSCN0068.jpg

When I went back to the check station, I saw a lot of nice straps of big birds, and many are saying this was the best opener in 10 years.

Strong work! A brace of birds is always better than staying home. Good looking dog too!

I have shot my share of coots. ::) Gives the dog work - worse case scenario.

I put ducks, geese, deer, and doves in gumbo, usually. After cooking it for 12-24 hours, it all tastes like beef! I've put hearts, gizzards, necks, legs, etc. in there, and it all tastes like beef when I'm done. I've fed it to city boys, and picky city girls, and they like it! Now when people find out if I brought the dish, they ask "does it have something he killed in it???" Others say, "oh, man, that duck gumbo was SO good, when are you going to make it again?"

Next time you're out, shoot a couple coots, and cook them for a long time in something spicy, like gumbo, chili, red beans and rice, whatever. I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu