1.5 Day or 1 Day trip on the Aztec out of Seaforth Landing March 20/21

M

msteele711

Hey guys,

I have a great group of anglers known as the "Outcasts" that have a boat reserved for a March 20 departure. We had a charter in Feb that overflowed due to a giant pod of Yellowtail (YT) sitting 90 miles downhill. Never really got into any major Rock Cod fishing as everyone was excited about the YT.

Anyway, I have 9 guys signed up right now and a few on the fence. Can't get the boat to go all the way to Colonett with this few but prob can get a San Martin Trip or at least a very long Coronados/Rock Pile trip going.

We prefer to fish with people we know verses any open charter. Any "that guy" type are never invited back. We make sure everyone is catching fish and help each other out. On the Tuna trips for example the fish last year in June only bit trolled jigs. So we rotate out every person that has caught a fish until everyone on the boat gets a tuna. It was tight but everyone went home with a Tuna on that trip.

Anyway, I have the Aztec out of Seaforth Landing reserved right now. Good boat, great new owner eager to fish. This might be their only trip for March so they are engaged. Last trip we had Capt from the Aztec, Capt from the Pac Voyager, Capt from the Pride helping us all out.

I had a full 1.5 Day trip including Food and Mexican Visa for $250 but need 25 anglers to make that happen so it looks like we will be a shorter distance to accomodate the smaller passenger load. Its all about how much fuel they will burn to balance it out.

Most guys don't want a 3/4 Day trip so its gonna be an overnight trip.

If you are interested please email me and let me know you saw this on SCH and I will treat you like any other Outcast. We have a few hunters in the group but always cool to find new bros and talk hunting on the way out to fish. Also good way to get introduced to Saltwater fishing if this is your first time. I personally never fish open charters, just not worth the aggravation.

Thanks

Mike

[email protected]

msteele711 said:
Anyway, I have 9 guys signed up right now and a few on the fence. Can't get the boat to go all the way to Colonett with this few but prob can get a San Martin Trip or at least a very long Coronados/Rock Pile trip going.

Mike

[email protected]

San Martin is further then colonett.

Duh...yes it is...I need to find out what his range is based on passenger count. What the tipping point is to justify Colonett. Last trip they only had to go 90 miles (Feb 20) and hit a giant school of YT.

I have a dozen now so this will be a go. We typically get better rates and services as a private charter. I will talk to the Capt in a few. I will update the main post later today.

Sorry...doing a few things at the same time.

Looks like we will have enough riders to justify a nice run down to Colonett. That means this will be more of a Rock Cod / Yellowtail Trip. The boat is remodeling right now from open bunks to staterooms so I'm super excited.

We want to keep this charter a private theme and keep it away from the landing so I will remain Point of Contact.

Cost is $290.00 which includes Boat, Bait, Bunk, Food, and Mexican Visa (those cost $23). Extras are going to be Dinner on Friday night (Token $10), Tips, Fish Cleaning, Beverages, and Mexican Fishing License ($15).

Deposit of 50% holds the spot. We want to depart on Friday March 20th at 5 PM so everyone needs to be at the landing by 4 PM. Boat gets bait, then runs downhill to the fishing grounds. Sometimes we wake up and we are there, sometimes you sleep in. Then fish all day and head back uphill. Usually home Sunday around 8 AM.

email or PM me if interested. Would be cool to meet some new people. If you have not fished offshore before and want to try it out, this is the type of trip to check out. No busting up and over rods to chase tuna tangles. I can work with you on gear or tackle and make sure you are not lost.

Thanks

Mike

Dang Mike this sounds awesome! I'm bummed I'm committed that weekend, but thanks for posting here. That's very cool.
8)

Good luck!

I'm wait till summer still eating bft & YT.......can't wait to see what happens this year

Yeah should be a crazy year. I also crew on a 33' private boat and we are always looking for extra riders. Those trips however you are working. You have a watch, you gaff, you clean fish, nice ride, nice fish hold, great group of guys, we slay them. But it is just different.

Charters you get on, sleep, fish, sleep, pick up your fish and go!

This 1.5 Day Charter will most likely go to a lower price and have a light load. Will prob fish Clemente or the Islands. Still working it out.

Heard Bluefin Tuna are banned. Closed Season in Mexico for 2015 and 2016 and a limit on BFT in US Waters to 2 per angler per day. That will shake up a few things. There were so many Yellowfin chickens around last year that everyone was hitting limits by 10 AM.

Crazy warm water this year so it should be interesting. Really fun fishing them dorado.

If some of you guys fish, and I have opportunity I will post up openings here also.

Thx

mike

yes, keep us posted on openings. I'm bound to jump on a few boats this year.

Yes please, keep openings coming. I can't make this one but would love to go once tuna season is on. This is a cool idea, I am always trying to find people to fill a private charter but no one will step up when the time comes (like me right now, ha!)

msteiger said:
Yes please, keep openings coming. I can't make this one but would love to go once tuna season is on. This is a cool idea, I am always trying to find people to fill a private charter but no one will step up when the time comes (like me right now, ha!)

Well I was hoping my next post on this thread was going to be a FISHING REPORT but it looks like that won't happen... :'(

The Capt called me last night and put the trip down. He said he wants at least 20 and even then he is barely breaking even on a 100 mile plus trip downhill. These trips need a solid 25 people to get a Colonett Trip off or even to justify the offshore fuel costs trolling. Some boats charge an additional $25 fuel charge at the dock, we don't like that.

I tried a shorter trip but he was not interested in anything shorter. I think it is just a combination of not enough people and the fact they are busting tail to remodel the boat. They just redid the restrooms, showers, and are putting in staterooms. The previous layout was all open bunks so they gutted the inside hull area. By now they are probably pretty tired with some long days.

If we had 25 they would work super long days and get us out. For a light load they just could not justify the worrying. Also I only have 11 committed right now and only 4 paid deposits/Paid in Fulls. That is dangerous on charters because no matter how many times someone says they are going, at the last minute if they are not vested ($$) they have a conflict of interest to cancel. That leave me hanging with the debt. I had one guy missing, 24 people standing on the boat ready to leave and I finally found him at 6 PM and he said "I'm sick, can't go.." I had pay his balance. He know he was sick a few days earlier, it happens. Last Charter in FEB was sold out with people begging to get on so its cyclical.

Fishing is only going to get better and I can have any weekend in April to reschedule. Think I will shoot for April 17th/18th/19th and will post up a NEW THREAD and send emails later next week.

Only reason I put these trips together is to see bros, introduce new people to the sport, have fun, and hurt fish. If that ain't happening I am gonna have to hunting...LOL

PM me if you are interested in that next trip with contact info and I will send an email.

Thanks again

Mike
The Outcasts
SanDiegoFishingClub.com

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu