1 down for the Gteam!

Gteam1

Oct 13, 2012
www.youtube.com
So this morning My dad, My cousin and I set out for a spot that we have been seeing some nice bucks. We got there in the dark so we had to wait a little bit before we could start glassing. Light finally came up and we spotted a small basket rack forky right away, it was early in the morning so we let him pass. We kept glassing, spotting does and small bucks here and there until I spotted a 4x4 we have seen only one time before today. He was in a really messed up spot for a stalk but my cousin really wanted to try and get close to him and get a shot... So my cousin and I began our stalk on this buck, trying to move as quietly as possible but at 110 yards the buck already had us pegged. We were on the same ridge as the buck and he moving towards a game trail that goes right through a lot of oak trees. I knew if we didn't cut him off before he go to the trees my cousin would never have a shot, we hustled our way closer to the buck, the closet we got to the buck before he went into the trees was 72 yards. Well.... that stalk was a bust!
It was still pretty early so went to meet up with my dad again to start glassing and as soon as we got to my dad he already had another buck spotted. It was the same wide forky we got video of on labor day weekend, this guy was in a better place to stalk. Ohh yeah my turn. I worked my way up to where the buck was feeding, i got within 130 yards or so of where the buck was last and i see a doe.. :mad: I knew that if she saw my cousin and I she would bust out of there and take the buck with her. We waited for the doe to put her head down and feed so we could move. It took us forever to move 10 yards. After about 30 minutes we were 90 yards from the doe, but now there is 3 does and one decent forky with that first doe. We played the stop and go game for another 20 minutes.. and then, finally.. the buck I was after stepped out with the other deer. He was standing above them on a rock outcrop. Looking like the king of the mountain. This boy had a big body and I thought we might be around 60 yards from him now, so i pick up my rangefinder, range him and it says 93.. I am pretty confident at 90 yards with my one pin sight but in my head I was think i could get at least 70 yards from him and everything will be okay. Well while i was ranging the buck the doe below him started making that blowing noise and i knew it was all over. The small forky and does started working away from me, They got above my target buck and of course he began to follow.. He was facing straight away from so i quietly raced up the hill to try to close the distance. He stopped, turned broadside and began to watch me work my way towards him. I stopped and ranged him as quickly as i could.. 74 Freakin' yards, i knew it was now or never and i chose now. I adjusted my sight, drew back, anchored and released.. It felt like the arrow was flying in slow motion and i was able to see it the whole time it was in the air until it disappeared into the body of the buck. The buck kicked up like a rodeo horse, immediately i could see blood gushing out of his pump station. I knew it was all over, No BS he ran about 10 yards, piled up.
I was literally shaking, that was crazy. 74 yard heart shot...
I'll never forget that scene that happened on that mountain this morning, the twack when an exspandable broadhead nails a deer is amazing!
It took my cousin and I about an hour and 20 minutes to pull off that stalk but we did it.. and it was worth it..
Thanks for reading guys! ;D

Congrats guys ! First on the board, and getting on the board is more than half the battle.

That is an awesome story, I remember the exspresion my dad had on his face when he walked up on my deer from idaho last year and how proud he was, I'm sure your dad was just as proud of you bro.

Good job

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu