10mm revolver/g20/1911 vs 357 mag for hunting sidearm?

I hunt hogs with some guys who don't like using catchdogs sometimes and they only bring 44 mags. I asked one of them why not 357 and he jokingly said his wife would be pissed if he took her gun, but then said they both work great if you have time and can place a good shot but when you are in a bind and just have to draw and fire the 44 is the only way to go. Just some thoughts and you can still shoot 44 spl too.

So I’m debating on either the 10mm or 357 mag as a hunting sidearm. I hunt here locally in the CNF and plan to do other out of state hunts for bigger game in the future. Which one would be best?

I reload and am already set up for 9mm with small pistol primers which would also work for 357 mag. ..... and I could use the same diameter projectiles just in a flat nose non self defense load. As far a take down and maybe a bear would 357 work? I know that 10mm is only rated around low 700ft lbs.... What do you all think would be best? Thanks for any advice.
It's your choice, buy a side arm, it will be handy someday. what ever you choose.
Never know if your travels will take you to Gris country, you don't all ways have to carry it

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu