1st dove

Skunked Again

Sep 29, 2015
Riverside
I was able to do a little hunting and shot my 1st 2 morning dove, along with a few snipe. This sport is very addicting! I am sure you guys have discussed this a thousand times but any favorite dove or snipe recipes.

Skunked Again said:
I was able to do a little hunting and shot my 1st 2 morning dove, along with a few snipe. This sport is very addicting! I am sure you guys have discussed this a thousand times but any favorite dove or snipe recipes.

Dove popper. You can go as crazy as you want with what you add but for a quick bite take a slice of bacon and wrap it around the dove breast and a slice of jalepeno, stick it on a skewer and grill it up. Sometimes I use some creame cheese in there or a slice of onion. I had a ton after opener so I also marinated the dove breast in Italian dressing before making the poppers they came out great.

Keep in mind that you only cook the breast of dove you need to remove the meat from the breast plate before starting this recipe. Some people leave the meat on breast plate and bake the dove like chicken with seasoning. Myself I don't think it tastes good without bacon and I find the more stuff you add to the popper the better it tastes. I have tried a few dove stews but all ways go back to the popper.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Truduct said:
Dove popper. You can go as crazy as you want with what you add but for a quick bite take a slice of bacon and wrap it around the dove breast and a slice of jalepeno, stick it on a skewer and grill it up. Sometimes I use some creame cheese in there or a slice of onion. I had a ton after opener so I also marinated the dove breast in Italian dressing before making the poppers they came out great.

Keep in mind that you only cook the breast of dove you need to remove the meat from the breast plate before starting this recipe. Some people leave the meat on breast plate and bake the dove like chicken with seasoning. Myself I don't think it tastes good without bacon and I find the more stuff you add to the popper the better it tastes. I have tried a few dove stews but all ways go back to the popper.

I don't think you can ever go wrong with bacon. That grill is making my mouth water, thanks!

A little tip I just got out at Wister last week. And after about a million previous wrapped with bacon doves, it really worked well......Place tin foil across half your grill......Cook the doves on that half till almost done......Then place them on the open grill side......No fire flame up and it leaves the dove kabobs nice and crispy.

I use water chestnuts in my fileted dove breasts wrapped with bacon (I also use jalapenos). It gives them a nice crunch and I add some bbq sauce AFTER they're done.

id love to see a picture of the snipe. been hunting for many moons in the valley and have yet to see one.

Attachments

• Gallinago_stenura_-_Laem_Pak_Bia.jpg
    Gallinago_stenura_-_Laem_Pak_Bia.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
As an alternative to the ever-popular dove popper recipe.

When I only have a few doves, I pluck them instead and grill. You get a little more meat this way. little thighs, little drumsticks, crispy skin all over.
I still breast them and make poppers when I get a ton of doves because it is faster to clean them that way, but cooking them plucked is worth it when you only have a few of them to go around.

1. Pluck and gut
2. Sprinkle salt and rub with olive oil, stuff one bay leaf in gut cavity
3. Grill 5 minutes on breast side, brush with bacon grease
4. grill 2 minutes on back, 2 minutes on either sides and brush with bacon grease
5. Remove from heat and sprinkle paprika all over them.

12308481_10153296974829639_4926722761055994626_n.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu