1st Poults 2016

Re: 1st Poults seen Today....4-27-16

That's great grass growth. Should keep a decent amount of poults from getting picked off. Unfortunately, we may not have too many 2 year olds on the club next year. Lot of members shot a lot of jakes. The jakes in two zones were completely wiped out :(

Ya the grass is almost three feet high in some places I have been. Most of it is about 18-24". Should be great cover.
Yes everyone shot the snot out of the jakes up there. Shane and another guy I was talking to yesterday shot the pair that were in 2 on Sat morning. I don't have high expectations for next season. That's the problem with people paying to hunt they want their money's worth. I was out yesterday and didn't even hear a gobble. First time all season. I am 0-6 better luck next year.

Truduct said:
Ya the grass is almost three feet high in some places I have been. Most of it is about 18-24". Should be great cover.
Yes everyone shot the snot out of the jakes up there. Shane and another guy I was talking to yesterday shot the pair that were in 2 on Sat morning. I don't have high expectations for next season. That's the problem with people paying to hunt they want their money's worth. I was out yesterday and didn't even hear a gobble. First time all season. I am 0-6 better luck next year.

Yep Gen & Drew......Frank & Janice have to walk a fine line when it comes to shooting game.....People pay their money. So they want to shoot something.....Shane is no ambassador to conservation.....There were a least 2 members who shot 5 jakes this spring (3 & 2)......Having them come in and taking pictures just isn't enough for some.....Last deer season he had his "member/client" shoot a little 3x2 buck that Jacob & I passed on.....Per the rules of the club, it was a legal buck, but how about some restrain?..... ::)

Every hunt club has one or two game hogs........sad really sad for next year

I'm wondering if the early hatch is due to the hot Feb/Mar days we had where the Toms thought spring was here and started breeding...maybe?

2dogs1name said:
I'm wondering if the early hatch is due to the hot Feb/Mar days we had where the Toms thought spring was here and started breeding...maybe?

Scott,

No doubt......From the day of breeding to the hatching of the eggs is about a 45-60 day process......If hens starting laying eggs March 1st, then you would have poults about the size of the ones in the video.

It appears she has about 6 poults. That would mean she's lost half her clutch despite 2 foot grass.....Tough life out there for turkeys.

Yeah don't get me started on Shane. First and last time I ever share any info to him. I was in vid 3 when they shot those two jakes, I got a earful of reasons why they shot them but oh well. Those were the last two jakes in that area :(

Without clear rules on MCC, the guys who are willing to shoot are just going to take whatever they can get away with. Gen and I had jakes in our sights opening day but didn't shoot. A few days later those jakes were taken. It's been a tough spring but I still don't plan on shooting a jake. And if I see one, I probably won't talk about it till the season is over.

Walked up on this girl this morning.......Upset is an understatement!.......Did the old "I have a broken wing trick".......lol

Her nest or poults must have been nearby.

Attachments

• 101.JPG
    101.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 099.JPG
    099.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

Oh, and in case you were wondering if the jennys are still getting bred......This big guy was having his way with this young lady yesterday..... :-*

Attachments

• 094.JPG
    094.JPG
    714.2 KB · Views: 28

Lots of activity this weekend. Couldn't get any in close enough for a shot, but we had a great time talking to them.

Bonejour said:
Lots of activity this weekend. Couldn't get any in close enough for a shot, but we had a great time talking to them.

Don,

That's half the fun of turkey hunting.....Actually getting one is exhilarating to say the least.....Hopefully, next spring will bring us more gobbles & gobblers.

ps.....Have I mentioned lately turkey poachers/drive-by shooters suck!

1st Poults seen Today....4-27-16

There is a local group of birds that visit my property often. Today I saw the first hen with poults in the area. She had 5 poults in her group. Hopefully we get a good recruitment for next season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 at this stage is just so so...... :(

Remember, she started with 12.....It's time to start eliminating some predators.... ;)

ddeed7ed186a7dc5f62cb86a1e7c950c.jpg

Rough.. yea I saw a similar thing happen a season ago. Had a hen in my area with about 10 poults, which dropped to 5, then to 2 by late summer. Plenty of bobcat, crows, vultures in this area...

Poults on the trail cam............ 8)

Attachments

• poults 2016.jpg
    poults 2016.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 31
  • poults 2016 ll.jpg
    poults 2016 ll.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 35

More poults today.........This girl had 7.........That's more like it........... ;)

Gobblers still chasing hens when they can find one. Probably a jenny, but boy could she yelp!...She called in 5 jakes and a long........ :D

The last 2 long beards had 5 hens..... ;D

ps......I'll load the video later.

Attachments

• 072.JPG
    072.JPG
    842.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 071.JPG
    071.JPG
    960.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    701.8 KB · Views: 27