2 scenarios, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion Room' started by Gcddarren, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Gcddarren

Gcddarren Member

A22 tag.
    1. See a doe with a hurt foot. Shoot it? It was small. End your season early? Opening weekend with a 20yrd shot. Maybe the foot will heel? I did not take the shot. I feel a little guilty.

2. Out of nowhere 2 fawns show up. The pass at 60yrd. 2 hrs later i go investigate and find momma at about 100yrds. Would you keep going back to the same area? Would you shoot the doe with the two fawns?

Happy hunting!

2. Ocurtis

Ocurtis Active Member

Too early - hold out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xjon likes this.
  3. xjon

xjon Active Member

+1.
    Unless your whole goal is to put meat on table then bingo. But since you held out, you got a thrill out of the possibility. Your season just got better because you just got more fuel for your drive.

Leave guilt behind, you weren't the one to cripple the doe.

longbowhunter2 likes this.
  4. Kellendv

Kellendv Member

I wouldn't shoot a doe with fawns. Does are pretty easy to find. Give the youngsters the best chance to survive. They generally stay with mom for a year and then they get the boot.

longbowhunter2 and Stump7100 like this.
  5. SASS

SASS Active Member

This is just my opinion but I definitely would not shoot a doe with fawns. I like being able to go back to the same areas and hunt and if you kill your does when they have fawns you are just shooting yourself in the foot not to mention I don't think it is very ethical to shoot anything with offspring still with them. But again just my two cents, happy hunting and hope you find a good buck.

longbowhunter2 and Stump7100 like this.
  6. longbowhunter2

longbowhunter2 Well-Known Member

never a doe with fawns. save it...

7. Truduct

Truduct Well-Known Member

Just to throw a wrench in every ones gears. Its Late November / December do you shoot a doe? You know they are carrying a fawn or possibly two.

Ocurtis likes this.
  8. longbowhunter2

longbowhunter2 Well-Known Member

that one my friend you need to decide , I would not

9. Ocurtis

Ocurtis Active Member

Way to confuse everything

I think all of this depends on the individual. If you have never shot a deer before, I doubt you would pass at any opportunity. If you are an experienced hunter, I would imagine you would hold out for a better opportunity. I don't believe there is a wrong answer.

This is my first year bow hunting, and my ifst year hunting California. I am going to do my best to pass on all doe opportunities, but it depends on the situation. I like to think that there is a reason for an either sex tag, and the success rate of it is considered in before issuing.

I hope to get out this weekend and hope I have an opportunity to pass on a doe! That alone would be a success to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longbowhunter2 likes this.
  10. Kellendv

Kellendv Member

I mean, any time you kill a doe you are killing that deer and all of the potential deer that she would have produced. I personally would not shoot a doe with fawns, or a doe that is obviously pregnant, although in that timeframe it won't be obvious yet. If I had a doe tag and was hunting to fill it I would not hold off simply because she might have been bred. If you are going to hunt does you have draw a line somewhere. But then again, I don't hunt does in California...

11. Gspman

Gspman Well-Known Member

Dam so it was you that got the a22 tags. I'd always leave the does with fawns.

I would have left the small hurt one but if it was late season I would have put the hurt on the hurt one.

Truduct likes this.
  12. ppbets

ppbets Member

I have same issue AO and A22 and I give a pass to 2 does first weekend, but please never kill a doe with fawns , without mother deer fawns be an easy meal for coyotes , lion or bobcats.
    We have a lot season with A22.

13. Gcddarren

Gcddarren Member

Well thanks for the feedback. I feel i made some smart choices. Im gonna wait for rut to hit before i go back to the spot with the fawns. I will be out looking for some new areas. Ive put a lot of hours in and have seen 1 buck. Slow days.