2004 F150 FX4 rear end work

socalhntr

Feb 16, 2011
SOCAL
Do any of you have experience with or personal knowledge of a reliable shop in the south San Diego region that does good work on Ford truck rear ends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Credo quia absurdum

GSPman said:
I can work on it but I'm in north LA county. What's wrong wit it?

I'm not sure, that's the reason I am trying to take it to someone that some of you have experience with. I am always hesitant to have someone work on something that i have zero knowledge of because I don't know when I'm being ripped off or not. (I don't want to pay for a whole new rear end when I just need a...) It started making a somewhat high pitched winding sound a couple of weeks ago and has been getting louder. It's not ridiculously loud but definitely noticeable. I thought it may just be a bearing or maybe the axle seal had gone out but that's not the case. I've had axles and bearings worked on at a friend's tire shop but he doesn't work on this type of issue. He's the one that said it is inside the differential...

I totally understand that. TRust is the reason I learned to work on cars and trucks in th first place 20years ago. Are you hard on the truck? Towing or off-road or big tires? It sounds like thegear mesh is getting off? Have you checked the diff oil? How long had it been since a change? Once you have the cover off you can check the gear and it's usually pretty obvious if the mesh is not right just by sight. Things just won't look right on the wear marks.

I replaced the pinion gear seal Dec 2013 and changed the oil then. I have been working on my own vehicles since I was old enough to read a Chilton's manual but 98% of my stuff is under the hood. The pinion gear seal was the furthest I've ever ventured...

I put this feeler out on a couple of different sites and someone recommended a shop that I had actually just read the reviews on. They specialize in this type of work and give a free estimate so I'll probably just take it there. I would rather have someone that specializes in differentials look at it as opposed to a general mechanic...

Thanks for the advice though

if its that damn 8.8 rear end you would be well served to replace the outboard wheel bearings as well. They are single bearings that ride on the Axel. Could be the worst design ever. They have to pull the axles anyway and if you have not done them they are going to fail.....

Thanks for the tip Bill.

I have put every mile of the 155K+ on this truck so it's about time for these things to start failing I imagine.

I highly recommend Freddie's auto repair in Poway. I used to work there as a mechanic long time ago and the owner Freddie is a great honest guy. His number is 858-748-3284 and let him know Gen sent you there if you decide to go.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu