2019 plans?

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
So ive been doing so research and i think i finalized my big game plans for 2019.
CA- deer: A16, A22, and A0 (d12)
AZ- elk: 6A, 5Bs
deer: 38M

This will be my first time trying CA and AZ drawing figured id try and start to build points in both states. If all else fails ill be doing some A22 (san felipe) and D12 (ao).

what do you guys have plans?
any suggestions on above units?

Last edited:
I’m waching Anyone’s Hunt (Onx Maps special 5episodes) and I’d definitely recommend adding a AZ OTC archery deer tag into your plans. The show makes it looks great and many members on here think of AZ as their second hunting home.

I’m waching Anyone’s Hunt (Onx Maps special 5episodes) and I’d definitely recommend adding a AZ OTC archery deer tag into your plans. The show makes it looks great and many members on here think of AZ as their second hunting home.
yea looking around the tucson area. 38M. looks fun, tons of deer!

Be advised if you want to build points in AZ you cannot put anything on your application (in any of the 5 choices) that you will draw. If you draw something from any choice on your application, you get a tag and no points. So, you have to get leftover tags if you want to build points, and getting leftover tags as a non-resident is a crap shoot because you have to do it in person or by mail.

Tuff hunting in AZ...CA A-Zone is where i,ll be!!!
i grew up fishing up and down the 395 and always seen deer. this last trip when i went for a bear hunt i saw tons of deer sign almost everywhere i was. hunting the x9a zone is my goal.

Be advised if you want to build points in AZ you cannot put anything on your application (in any of the 5 choices) that you will draw. If you draw something from any choice on your application, you get a tag and no points. So, you have to get leftover tags if you want to build points, and getting leftover tags as a non-resident is a crap shoot because you have to do it in person or by mail.
so youre saying buid point so i can apply years from now or apply in the draw and maybe get lucky?

so youre saying buid point so i can apply years from now or apply in the draw and maybe get lucky?

That is totally up to you and what your goals/desires are. If you want to hunt every year then pick a hunt you can draw with no points and go hunt. If you want a “trophy hunt” then you have to get points on your application, then you can try for a leftover tag or get the OTC archery tag so you can still hunt. I hunt deer in AZ every year, with a rifle, in what I think is a great unit with zero points. All the data is out there. Go mine the AZGFD website.

Put in for your trophy units..if you dont draw..you,ll get your point..if you draw..well... you got yourself a tag..random folks draw every year...i hate AZ!! Uggh.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
That is totally up to you and what your goals/desires are. If you want to hunt every year then pick a hunt you can draw with no points and go hunt. If you want a “trophy hunt” then you have to get points on your application, then you can try for a leftover tag or get the OTC archery tag so you can still hunt. I hunt deer in AZ every year, with a rifle, in what I think is a great unit with zero points. All the data is out there. Go mine the AZGFD website.
i understand the deer game but are there otc elk?

yes they do. non permit haha

Yeah you can pay for a non-permit tag or there are some very low success rate tags that I think you can get with no points. These hunts are generally on the periphery of the elk habitat. My understanding is those types of hunts are very difficult..... unless you are really looking for a grueling challenge and have a lot of free time and money to scout I wouldn’t recommend those types of hunts. AZ is not an “opportunity” elk state. You can get a cow tag every couple of years as a non-resident if you don’t care about antlers. I think AZ does a good job of being both a trophy and an opportunity deer state.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu