2023 hunting season so far

baboltin

Jan 1, 2014
The forum has been kinda quiet and slow so I thought I would try and contribute something to bring something more to the table. This is my 2023 season so far and I will add to it as it goes.

This hunting season consisted mostly of me helping others which I enjoy a lot and trying to squeeze in a hunt for myself here and there.

I started off in august as a packer for the outfitter I hunted with for my personal dall sheep last year (2022). I was gone 17 days total and we killed on day ten of a ten day hunt, lots of rain and weather which was more difficult for me then to get after it and hike, but we were able to kill an amazing ram, 12 years old, full curl and double broomed, legal on all accounts. If anyone is ever interested in hunting Alaska with an amazing outfitter let me know I can get you in contact.

PHOTO-2023-08-21-12-11-00.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
From there I came home and was hoping to get some local d zone archery hunting in but being gone in Alaska so long didn’t allow it. I had been scouting before I left and knew of a big buck I wanted to kill.
Being I didn’t get to hunt the archery season due to being gone and having to come back and catch up at work, home and family I was hoping to be able to find the buck that I had been scouting during the rifle season although I wasn’t able to hunt more then a couple days between work and working overtime and spending time with the family. I had heard that the buck I was after got shot at possibly missed or crippled which really bummed me out but I didn’t have time to continue to hunt that buck before leaving to scout and help on a tule elk hunt.

I left work the Thursday before the elk hunt opener, got to camp that evening, the next morning located a small herd with a small bull, and then that evening hiked into a more remote area where I was able to find a bull and put it to bed for the next morning opening morning. We figured out a game plan the next morning and we’re able to relocate the bull and kill him by 10:30.

IMG_3769.jpegDSC_1367.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
After the elk hunt, I had a couple days that I had to go back to work and then catch a flight to head to a antelope hunt which I knew by doing this hunt I would miss out on the tail end of the local season but with the buck I was after possibly shot and it not being that great of a local season it only made sense to go hunt out of state.

I flew out Friday and was hunting on Saturday, where we were able to kill a great buck for my buddies buddy, and we were actually putting a stock on an antelope when we found this mule deer buck and passed on the antelope to kill this buck for him. He made a great shot and we killed a great buck on the first day of being out there.

IMG_3838.jpegIMG_3839.jpeg

I guided in Southern California, got a great buck 4x4 with a small dropper, tons of fun chasing rutting bucks. I don’t have a picture of the buck but will try and get one.

Then I ended my hunting season on a desert sheep hunt that all of our research and running cameras paid off to be successful in a couple days. We had seen this ram for a number of years and with the unit struggling and us knowing this was an old ram we knew this was the best one to take out of the herd. Aged at 14 years old. Tons of character and just plain a cool ram !!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu