2023 Wyoming trip

Jawbreaker

Apr 6, 2023
My dad passed away in 2021 and my brothers and I drove out to Wyoming to spread his ashes where he hunted with a family friend for the last 10 years. We were even able to get some over the counter doe tags and shoot some does( my son shot his first deer that year. last Year we were out there even though we were only able to get doe tags and had no problem filling tags.
this year 4 of us had buck tags and were ready to go, the plan was to do some scouting for a few days and get a few does into the processor before the buck opener and we weren’t seeing too many bucks(possibly due to the heat). We were able to get 3 does into the processor early.
opening morning we all hiked out with high hopes knowing the deer would be getting pushed around and we know the area pretty well now. Our buddy Jerry was the first to connect with a 3x4. I had a shot at a forky that was at 800yards and even though I practice at long distance I kind of wanted to hold out for something bigger and to be honest was a little nervous shooting a deer at that distance even though I shoot steel at that distance on a re basis, so that one got a pass. Later in the day I was with my brothers and son on a hillside glassing and here comes a buck( I think it’s the same forky) at 550 down the draw across the canyon and decided this guy wasn’t getting a pass, figuring I’d like my son to have a shot at a bigger buck so I set up, got my dope and let him have it at 500 yards. He ran about 20, and rolled onto his back.
My son hiked for miles every day looking for the right buck but was only seeing forkys so when he glassed one on the last dat in its bed at 900 yards he decided to take it and was able to get into a good spot got his dope and dropped him at 525 Yards. When ho shot 2 does got up and he shot both of the at 325 yards. By the time my buddy and I hike up to where he was at he had the buck quartered and we packed Him up while he took care of the does. My buddy and I packed out the buck and the kid packed out both does ( to be young again)
our group of 7 ended up with 3 bucks, 8 does and a doe antelope.

thanks for reading, good luck out there

IMG_1751.jpegResized_Resized_20231004_103308.jpegResized_20231001_093816.jpegIMG_1767.jpegIMG_2620.jpegIMG_1776.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic!! Freezers full..Forky smorky
.. Strong work!

Just Tremendous! Nothing like making memories with your son. Nice bucks!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu