20ga Dove hunters look here.

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
AS many of you, I am getting ready for the season. I am unable to go and pattern my shotgun, so I am trying to make an educated decision on what might be the way to go with Steel shells.

I am going to favor size 6 shot because of what I read, but will try size 7 too. If you had to favor one of the boxes in the pic, tell me which one and why?

By the way I am using a lite mod choke(steel ok) from Trulock on my Mossberg SA-20 Semi-auto.

My research tells me:

Higher velocity=faster shot =more recoil
More weigh=heavier load=more recoil

So what is a good compromise to you?

.Ammopic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m guessing the Kent shells are much higher priced. With my tendency to miss, using lots of shells, I’d go with the economical value. And I can’t help with your ballistics questions.

my daughter shoots # 7 AT EUROS winchester, CHEAP AND DOES THE JOB

Those kents are decent. Good speed for higher flyers. LM or IC should be fine for you.

They'll all work. #7's on some lightly feathered early season morning doves would be my preference, especially from a 20.

hmmmm I second buy by the bulk and have fun, it's what is about,....
but due to the half of the density of lead, I go with the # 6
double the size and weight,. I used #4 on pheasant, one ran off, one I nailed dead on and was dead... lol

Reactions: Smokey58
I used both the Kent velocity and the steel dove last year to prepare for the take over. I preferred the steel dove in 6s for both my 20 And my 12 with modified. The 7s just didn’t seem to have the punch, but that is probably my shooting skill.

Reactions: Smokey58
I've used Kent Steel Dove with great success, and the Winchester too. This weekend I'm trying out this Federal. A buddy of mine swears by it. I'm using an IC and a Mod in a O/U.
02f1935496c84c747483f26e65a32dba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'd want the heavier shot (#6) if Quail is also part of your plan.

Their feathers can be surprisingly tough in terms of soaking up AirRifle shots. Significantly tougher than a Doves hide for AirRifle shots.

#6 to knock down the further eurasians that mix into the morning dove hunt. Imho

I'm using the Federal #6's because I've got ammo boxes stuffed with it already. I decided to keep it simple and just get the same of everything for dove and quail. Also managed a chukar and a coyote with them last season too. Granted the coyote was around 10 yards.

Does it really matter, load the shotgun with some shells and get out there. I prefer Federal ammo if available but I shoot whatever is readily accessible.

Reactions: MAG 1
I'm using the Federal #6's because I've got ammo boxes stuffed with it already. I decided to keep it simple and just get the same of everything for dove and quail. Also managed a chukar and a coyote with them last season too. Granted the coyote was around 10 yards.
That coyote shot was awesome!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu