26 Yard Zero

gregg

Feb 16, 2014
San Diego
http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2014/2/4/the-26-yard-hunting-zero/

What is everyone's thoughts on this? I'm doing a pig hunt in a few weeks and while I'm sighted in for 100yds this seems to make sense but I'd like to give it a try at the range before missing a shot in the field.

Boy that was confusing.......25yds is just to get you on paper in my book.

Zero at 200yds and know your ammo ballistics out to 400yds.

What are you shooting? caliber & bullet would help

Makes sense, I'll try it this weekend. I'm already sighted in at 200yrd. So it should already be close to a 25yrd zero. At least by the ballistic calculator

I zero my 308 and 243 at 25 yards. , the 243 will raise 1-1/2" at 100 yds, and will zero again at 300 yds. with the right bullet.
same as the 308 but drops a little at 300 yds. but I compensate for it. nothing wrong with this setup. to each their own.
this ammo combo will determine the results. as along with the setup.

Ghost said:
I zero my 308 and 243 at 25 yards. , the 243 will raise 1-1/2" at 100 yds, and will zero again at 300 yds. with the right bullet.
same as the 308 but drops a little at 300 yds. but I compensate for it. nothing wrong with this setup. to each their own.
I second that. I do ballsitics calcs on all my rounds but if you sight in 1.25"-1.5" high at 100 yards you should be golden.

MJB said:
Boy that was confusing.......25yds is just to get you on paper in my book.

Zero at 200yds and know your ammo ballistics out to 400yds.

What are you shooting? caliber & bullet would help

.270 130 grain

Good thread. I always try for maximum point blank range, but in the end, you have to confirm it at the longer distances and know your limits in the field.

Ghost said:

Plus 1........But, I'm not a rifleman......... ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu