3 Days at the "Shaw"

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Bluebird, windy, bluebird......Didn't matter......Really good shoots, 3 days in a row......Opener was typical with birds not shoreline leery......Saturday was a super strong northeast wind. Which is ideal for where I was set-up. Most birds were killed over dirt (all the widgeon).....Today was way tougher, but made the shots count when we had an opportunity.

ps.....Torn ligaments in my hand Wednesday morning walking out to the blind. So, I shot the mighty little Benelli 20 gauge with modified choke and Kent 7/8 of an ounce of 3's the last two days......7 for 7 yesterday and 12 for 7 today.....Get 'em in close, anything will kill 'em........ ;)

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    642.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    583.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    641.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    654.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    720.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    655.7 KB · Views: 47
nice job guys!!!!!!!!!

Re: 3 Days at the "Shaw"

This can't be true. Everyone knows stand up blinds don't work at Henshaw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re: 3 Days at the "Shaw"

nicapopolis said:
This can't be true. Everyone knows stand up blinds don't work at Henshaw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nick,

They normally don't work, but painted the blind with colors that matched the ground (zero bulrush cover this year). I just figured, if I was going to have a tough time of it. I might as well be comfortable. We're also 20+ yards from the shoreline with a willow tree backdrop.....You know widgeon, with so many full body & silhouettes on dry land (6 doz), most the birds are landing and killed on the beach.

Trigger is a godsend for those that hit water.....The marsh bottom is very silty and is supper soft.....Yesterday, he swam half way across the lake to chase a bird down.....His energy is amazing!

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    695.8 KB · Views: 45
Nice decoy setup steve looks natural! Glad you didnt break anything mid season, torn up ligs and smacked em with the 20 that's awsome. How cold was it with the wind?

Kyle,

Henshaw lake bottom is just plain cold all the time.....Pretty frozen till about 7:00 am.....I'd say high 20's, low 30's.

Speaking of freezing temps.... Steve, have you ever found a weather report that is accurate for Henshaw? Santa Ysabel and even Warner Springs will say the low is going to be high 40's low 50's, but you wake up in the morning at the 'Shaw, and it's clearly high 20's low 30's lol. I have just began assuming it's going to be 20 degrees colder at Henshaw than any of the surrounding reports.

Fowl Play said:
Speaking of freezing temps.... Steve, have you ever found a weather report that is accurate for Henshaw? Santa Ysabel and even Warner Springs will say the low is going to be high 40's low 50's, but you wake up in the morning at the 'Shaw, and it's clearly high 20's low 30's lol. I have just began assuming it's going to be 20 degrees colder at Henshaw than any of the surrounding reports.

No Tom..........It always seems to be wrong..........I mean 32 is freezing, right?........ :-[

ilovesprig said:
Huntndogs said:
Nice Steve!

Mike,

Nice talking to you yesterday......And you thought I was packing it in...... ;D

Lol, the fella I was looking at was wrapping up his dekes and tossing them on the shore....guess he was all done or moving. I saw your duck condo after breaking out the glass, great set up.

Mike,

We'll see if the "Condo" works one more time tomorrow.....Really wanted to move to another spot, but some fellas set-up there.....The back marsh is starting to load up with birds. If know one hunts it, will be tough morning.....Not expecting much with no weather predicted either...... :(

My intuitions were right.......The big goose egg this morning at the "Shaw"........Fortunately, I have a friend that owns a good duck club....... ;)

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    731.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    548.8 KB · Views: 30

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu