308 Win is a great hunting Cartridge…Change my mind

NBK, Remember when I used to dig through the gut piles with the pigs we shot to look at bullets ? good times for sure with an education supplied, I was on Noslers back then and you were on Barnes both of different of calibers (.25 -06 for me and you did a 7 mag as I remember but you had others as well) they all ended up in the cooler no matter what. Then we did 338's with Barnes 210's on pigs and I got a double pass through on two pigs with one shot (another testiment as to energy that a bullet retains at distance). What I learned was my 25-05 with 115 Nosler partitions was good to go but solid copper Barnes went further penetration wise that we used with my double penetration Not apples to apples inventory but certainly gave evidence as to how two different bullets worked in the real world as well as weight and B.C factor's.. Bottom line we both took meat home without too great an effort.. Lesson here is as I have learned is put the pill no matter what size in the right place and then go get your animal butchered...
THIS!

Reactions: TRICER
NBK, Remember when I used to dig through the gut piles with the pigs we shot to look at bullets ? good times for sure with an education supplied, I was on Noslers back then and you were on Barnes both of different of calibers (.25 -06 for me and you did a 7 mag as I remember but you had others as well) they all ended up in the cooler no matter what. Then we did 338's with Barnes 210's on pigs and I got a double pass through on two pigs with one shot (another testiment as to energy that a bullet retains at distance). What I learned was my 25-05 with 115 Nosler partitions was good to go but solid copper Barnes went further penetration wise that we used with my double penetration Not apples to apples inventory but certainly gave evidence as to how two different bullets worked in the real world as well as weight and B.C factor's.. Bottom line we both took meat home without too great an effort.. Lesson here is as I have learned is put the pill no matter what size in the right place and then go get your animal butchered...
I do remember @Snake Charmer . You rummaged in every gutpile we made. And we made many. You were like a forensic crime seen analyst.

Reactions: TRICER and HATCHET1
my main concern I had venison to eat, did not care about how many points, or what the bullet looked like. all I cared I had food on the table.

Lee,

I think some of us go thru stages, when deer hunting...At 1st, we're just happy to get a buck, any buck...Then we move to the big buck stage (may last for years... :joy: )...Then we go back to, I love venison stage and most any buck will do...Lastly, back to bigger and mature bucks are needed to pull the trigger...I'm in that last stage...:blush:

ps...And a big buck is a relative term to where you're hunting...Very spoiled hunting the "16"........;)

Lee,

I think some of us go thru stages, when deer hunting...At 1st, we're just happy to get a buck, any buck...Then we move to the big buck stage (may last for years... :joy: )...Then we go back to, I love venison stage and most any buck will do...Lastly, back to bigger and mature bucks are needed to pull the trigger...I'm in that last stage...:blush:

ps...And a big buck is a relative term to where you're hunting...Very spoiled hunting the "16"........;)
I'm in the meat only stage. Wife said the room of death has enough mounts. Women !!!!!Resized_20210428_130008.jpeg

Lee,

steve
I get it, and I do under stand, the thrill, the adventure, and getting that big buck. it's what most folk strive for. but for me it was never that. it was getting out, being in the woods. it was therapy. and if I got lucky then it was icing on the cake so to say. of course we all like to score.

Reactions: YETI
I like the 308, the animals I shoot don’t, I prefer to keep my shots 350 or closer, 200 is better, 100 is even better, I don’t archery hunt much anymore but I love to sneak in as close as I can in an animal before pulling the trigger. I’ve been shooting the 168 TTSX for years, I’ve never recovered one from anything I’ve shot, complete pass through on bull elk out to 300 yds. I don’t like and can’t handle a lot of recoil, I get migraines from 1 box of light trap 12 ga loads so the light recoiling 308 allows me to shoot a box of shells and not feel terrible afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: YETI and TRICER
I’d say it is a GOOD hunting round; but there are many better. I prefer the .270, .280 (as non-magnums) rounds which are faster and flatter and have more energy BUT if you consider the .308, is 90% as good as those rounds it will still do everything you need it to do. I’ve also come to believe that .30 caliber rounds are just overkill for deer - copper monolithic bullets can be smaller and still kill even elk or bears. I also often shoot a 7mm-08 and it kills deer as well as any .30 caliber round, but has 30% less recoil. All of these things we think about are academic and silly really because they all work. The .308 main advantage is the NATO standard, so ammo is more available and that is important esp the last 2 years. It is a PITA to reload because you run out of powder space and have to compress loads often. The .30-06 is a slightly better .30 cal round, it does have more recoil but much easier to reload.

Just don’t use a 6.5 Creedmoor or we’ll suspect your manhood….

Last edited:
I’d say it is a GOOD hunting round; but there are many better. I prefer the .270, .280 (as non-magnums) rounds which are faster and flatter and have more energy BUT if you consider the .308, is 90% as good as those rounds it will still do everything you need it to do. I’ve also come to believe that .30 caliber rounds are just overkill for deer - copper monolithic bullets can be smaller and still kill even elk or bears. I also often shoot a 7mm-08 and it kills deer as well as any .30 caliber round, but has 30% less recoil. All of these things we think about are academic and silly really because they all work. The .308 main advantage is the NATO standard, so ammo is more available and that is important esp the last 2 years. It is a PITA to reload because you run out of powder space and have to compress loads often. The .30-06 is a slightly better .30 cal round, it does have more recoil but much easier to reload.

Just don’t use a 6.5 Creedmoor or we’ll suspect your manhood….
Ya we don't even need a 6.5 CM thread we all know that Cartridge is for chicks

Definitely a great hunting cartridge. "Just as capable on elk", possibly, but that's pushing it IMO.

I've shot quite a few elk with my .270 (similar power to 308, if not a little more) and the same with my dad with his 300WM. The difference is substantial. The elk are hurt and hurt badly (instantly) with the 300 compared to the .270. While I'll still use my .270 with confidence the 300 is much better suited for elk.

I love my 308. Best part is my dad shoots it too and he reloads so we have great bullets which have been custom tuned to our rifles.

Still thinking about this...308 WIN is an adequate cartridge out to 400y that works...but I believe it is far from great. Great means that is is better than average.

I see a 7 or 30 cal magnum as great.

The extra 500 FPS from a 300 WM will impose an extreme amount of hydrostatic shock that shows a visibly different response from game. I would probably take a 300 WM shooting 152 gr Hammers going 3500 FPS over the 308 in that range. Talk about a bang flop.

Reactions: Kellendv and TRICER
Still thinking about this...308 WIN is an adequate cartridge out to 400y that works...but I believe it is far from great. Great means that is is better than average.

I see a 7 or 30 cal magnum as great.

The extra 500 FPS from a 300 WM will impose an extreme amount of hydrostatic shock that shows a visibly different response from game. I would probably take a 300 WM shooting 152 gr Hammers going 3500 FPS over the 308 in that range. Talk about a bang flop.
Yeah. Killing an elk is like towing 10k lbs. The F150 will do it and be OK, however, the F250 will do it with ease and margin to spare. Having extra margin when things don't go as expected is really nice.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu