308 Win is a great hunting Cartridge…Change my mind

Oh one other observation i have from 300 WM vs 308 WIN is at my 300 WM seems to pass through when the 308 would be recovered on offside hide.

To me that one is important...but again that could be bullet choice. Haven't killed anything with a hammer in the 308.

*EDIT* I have had many pass throws with the 308 as well, it seems to be 50% on cow elk and 100% on deer.

Last edited:
we try to keep everyone happy :) lots of video sites work good here... anyone try PH yet?

NO THEY DO NOT PLAY SO DO NOT TRY OR AUTOBAN :p

Fun thread.

Lol from the guy who talked me out of using my 308 Win and 6.5 PRC on my bull elk hunt. But the 300 WM dropped him in his tracks so it has worked out.

I blame you @Truduct for introducing me into Backcountry Hunting Podcast starting my love affair with heavy recoiling magnums.

Reactions: TRICER
Lol from the guy who talked me out of using my 308 Win and 6.5 PRC on my bull elk hunt. LOL

I blame you @Truduct for introducing me into Backcountry Hunting Podcast starting my love affair with heavy recoiling magnums.
Hey I don’t shoot a 308 Winchester but it’s hard to argue against. I am tempted to build a 18” barrel folding stock 308win. For realistic hunting distances it does the trick. I think we get so caught up in calibers that we forget that they pretty much all give us the same result in the end.
I shoot a 280AI and 260 Rem definitely not your typical cartridges. But when you really look at the numbers if you can put it in the 8” pie pan under 400 yards and have enough energy and velocity you should have a dead animal.

Last edited:
I'm pretty bouezy...I only shoot Weatherby calibers...then tend to perform well on everything at all distances....mine get special treatment..cool in the Summer..warm in the winter. ..always by my side...in the front seat!!

• Haha
Reactions: Kellendv and TRICER
Oh one other observation i have from 300 WM vs 308 WIN is at my 300 WM seems to pass through when the 308 would be recovered on offside hide.

To me that one is important...but again that could be bullet choice. Haven't killed anything with a hammer in the 308.

*EDIT* I have had many pass throws with the 308 as well, it seems to be 50% on cow elk and 100% on deer.

My son was 12. His first elk fell to a 308 Win launching a 168 TTSX Barnes in a snow storm. When we walked up to the animal, a pass through @ 250 yards...and then some.

His second (third) elk was another pass through at 210 yards. Dead as nails. 308 Win 168 grain bullet.

On another hunt I shot an elk with the same bullet and also had another pass through. And bang/flop. It was a big herd, @Snake Charmer was there, and we sat and watched for 15 minutes while the herd passed by before walking up to our dispatched elk. Man there were a lot of elk on that hunt. We all shot elk and filled my truck! @HATCHET1 would have been proud!

Johnnys elk.JPGP1010058.jpgFred's Ranch Pics 007.jpgFred's Ranch Pics 005.jpgFred's Ranch Pics 017.jpg

working on the mighty 308 now.

blue are 168TTSX and red are 168 ELDM. Not bad for the first groups out of the new Tikka. No time to develop a load, that’ll do.
897EFF47-1B71-4407-9644-9E85830EDB6C.jpeg

Reactions: Kellendv
BC relates to wind resistance therefore less wind resistance the faster it will fly......

BC relates to wind resistance therefore less wind resistance the faster it will fly......
Less wind resistance doesn't necessarily mean faster. Muzzle velocity is just that. But it does mean longer retained velocity over a given distance. So better BC means it doesn't slow down as quickly as lesser BC.

So you are right @MJB . I am just splitting hairs as usual.

Reactions: MJB
@Truduct did you consider the 338 Federal? At 400 yards it has dropped only 2 inches more and is going only about 100 fps slower with a 200 gr trophy copper, compared to 165 gr 308 trophy copper.

The seal snipers use 300wm using tsx bullets....... at least they did 5 years ago, my buddy is no longer in so who knows now

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu