3x600 match at camp pendleton

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
I am going to do something new for me this weekend. They are running a couple matches at the base this weekend. Sat is a xc and Sunday is a 3x600. I am going to do the 3x600. its 20 rounds fired slow or single fire at 600 yards in 3 rounds. I AM GOING TO GET SMOKED but it should be fun. First time shooting in any kind of competition. Ill be brave and post up my score when i get done! 600 yards is a long ways for a ar15 :)

Anyone here ever do anything like this?

Actually...Aeon might just be at an advantage in the wind because of his hunting experience. I think his little 6mm WOA might just surprise a few people. His only disadvantage is his light bullets because of his 1:10 twist barrel.

SCH is rooting for you Bill. Give them hell bro! Do you have an SCH shirt to represent with?

NBK said:
Actually...Aeon might just be at an advantage in the wind because of his hunting experience. I think his little 6mm WOA might just surprise a few people. His only disadvantage is his light bullets because of his 1:10 twist barrel.
Aeon, is that the coyote rifle that you mentioned has a scope that's just a little too powerful for ideal coyote- hunting? Can't find the other thread. If I recall, the low end on the zoom was still pretty high mag, like 6x.

Sent via Tapatalk

advantage might be a strong word here, I practice and hunt in heavy wind a lot so i can shoot pretty good but even in the wind the winners at the last shoot shot 199-9x scores. that score means 19 of 20 shots was in the 10 ring(12" circle) and 9 of them were in the x (6" circle) at the center. Think about hitting a 6" circle in a 12mph wind at 600 yards. :'( :'( :'( :'( I also have to compete against guys with guns in 6.5-284 and other go fast big bullet rigs. The upside is my gun is good enough to beat any ar15 out there if i can do my part:) 70gr nosler b tips at 3400fps and i am going out sat with the laser and getting the dope for 600 yards dead nuts on so i can just worry about wind and minor vertical corrections

Bonejour- yes its my coyote gun, it has a 6-24x vortex pst on it right now. It should work great for this weekend. I am in the process of switching it out for a 1-4 or 1-6 power scope for coyote hunting. In the last year i have only had one kill at over 500 yards. Most shots have been under 200. It is a pain in the ass at 150 and under and forget about running shots under 100 you just get lost trying to track them. It's a great scope and i do like it, just the wrong application for coyotes.

Aeon said:
In the last year i have only had one kill at over 500 yards. Most shots have been under 200.

Hey bud... I think we need to switch spots (or scopes)!!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

ok so no one told me the F-class targets are not the same as the normal 600 yard targets lol the x is only 3" and the 10 ring is just 6 :O.... Oh and the wind. It blew hard! very hard in my last round i had to go from 30" to 52 of windage to keep it close lol!! my little 70gr bullets were getting pushed around :) i was able to keep my vertical spread down to about 4" or so but the horizontal just killed me.

That said OMG it was fun. I had a guy who knew what was up scoring me and giving me tips here and there. Thanks TO the Santa Margarita Gun Club for putting on a fun event!

http://www.smgunclub.org/

ok now time for the BS with out pics here are my last two score cards. I didn't think to take a pic of my first card before i put it in the score box.....
20140330_102914_zpsrgjujo8i.jpg
20140330_110707_zpskqeapkgt.jpg

X means bullseye

M means missed. Now you might be asking how I could go from a 9 to m back to 9. Let's just say the muzzel break on a 308 can rattle your head. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

aeon- do you know if you can go and use the rifle range up there at any time or just certain events ive been wanting to try there range pretty sure i drove past it every morn in deer season it off the road right before the wardens office right?(the one on the left)

No i do not think you can use it any time. Think its just events but i could be wrong. Contact the Santa margartia gun club and ask maybe?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu