6.5 Creedmore?

Don’t ignore the 7mm-08...it has more energy than the 6.5s and is very well established nationally. If fact it has more energy retained at 400 yards than its parent .308 140 grain vs 150 grain. And it’s a known pussycat for lack of recoil. Barnes also makes a factory 120 grain load in copper that is a screamer at 3100 FPS....every major rifle company chambers it. It can handle 150-160 grain bullets with very high BCs too

But for some reason the 7mm-08 has been ignored by So Cal hunters. Be different...stand apart from the crowd

You guy's crack me up, 6.5's are good but.... Any body remember the mid 70's and 80's and the 25-06 and 117 Noslers or 120's ? solid out to extreme ranges (400 yd's with minimal practice) 3100 fps with good hand loads and practice. Killed lots of 200 lb + pigs with it..

You guy's crack me up, 6.5's are good but.... Any body remember the mid 70's and 80's and the 25-06 and 117 Noslers or 120's ? solid out to extreme ranges (400 yd's with minimal practice) 3100 fps with good hand loads and practice. Killed lots of 200 lb + pigs with it..

I’ve got to agree with you. The 6.5 Creedmoor is nothing magic. The 6.5x55 Swede is over 100 years old, they just loaded the powders down a bit for the guns of the time. The .260 Remington has slightly more powder capacity than the Creedmoor. And all of the older bullets in pretty much every caliber now have high BC bullets designed for them, including the 7mm crowd like the 7mm-08 and .280, two of my favorites. The Creedmoor is just good marketing, nothing more.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I like this comment. 25-06 is my next gun. I got really close to buying one before antelope season this year, but definitely will own one before next years antelope season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

. The Creedmoor is just good marketing, nothing more.

It is more than good marketing. The 6.5's have among the highest BC's by weight than any other caliber. All of the cartridges mentioned are good ones for sure, but to discount the 6.5's performance would be a mistake. The .260 and or the 6.5 Creedmoor outperform the 7mm-08 and the 25-06 at distance. Sectional density is another reason to like the 6.5's. Penetration by weight is a factor when hunting.

A .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor has over 1,000 foot pounds of energy @ 700 yards loaded with a 140 Berger Elite Hunter @ 2750 FPS. This is nothing to sneeze about! The cartridges shoot flatter as well.

The only advantage of the Creedmoor over the .260 Rem is it has a longer neck. Tradeoff is powder capacity. I like the .260. Both have very little recoil.

Oh, and if your are going to mention the 7mm's don't forget the .284 Winchester. It holds the F class 1,000 yard work record (200-13X).

All this stuff is making my head swell. I just got a Kimber 6.5 CM for my 15 year old daughters deer hunt... it came with a flat bill hat if that means anything. Supposed to be an accurate round... heading to the range to sight it in right now. Ed F
Ed can't lose.
Have fun with your daughter.
At range. It's all good.
6.5, 7mm, 260 all kill deer

So there this white paper. About
Sub MOA rifles is a misnomer.
Three shots don't tell a lot.
According to my research.
It takes a lot of rounds to see the
Real MOA spread.
Any one do this.
So barrel heat, dirty barrels, eg
What's the scoop.
An coment by LP shooting copper
After so many yards lose accuracy.
WTF?
Twist rate, barrel length, Bullet BC,
Density, the accuracy and quality
Of the equipment. The eye and steadiness of the shooter.

All this stuff is making my head swell. I just got a Kimber 6.5 CM for my 15 year old daughters deer hunt... it came with a flat bill hat if that means anything. Supposed to be an accurate round... heading to the range to sight it in right now. Ed F

Love the gun. But I'm a bit concerned about the hat. A double billed hat i.e. Elmer Fudd, would be the ONLY option to the standard, redneck, rounded bill.

I get all the information and performance from high B.C bullets and extreme ranges as well as penetration and how 6.5's put it forth, it works and is undeniable ( I own a 260. Rem. with a 20" barrel and have shot a number of deer with it but how many folks pursue the long range attraction or have those skill's? To be able to shoot at those distances requires a massive amount of practice, knowledge and tool's as well as hand loading skill's I respect those that pursue it but.... With most of us what a 6.5 does at 700 Yards means not much regardless of energy or B.C, We are looking for a target on the other side of the canyon sitting on our hands and knee's and maybe shooting stick's or a bipod. I've seen 6'5 's at extreme distances and at that scenario have heard how the shooters wished for more energy to own their game and have then gone on to bigger caliber's ... It's all about what you are comfortable with and not what size the bullet is. They all tip over if you put the bullet in the right place.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I guess it would be handy for long range competition target Shooting.
But how many of us have that ability. I was researching the .243 vs 6.5 cm past 500 yards the 6.5 cm
Out performs the 243.
But between 0 &500 yards the 243
Is higher velocity due to the smaller bullet.
Nice conversation if taken as chit chat.
260 has very impressive ballistics.
I guess it would be the objective of long range game.
From my research best long range with best BC, density eg are the 7mm mag, and 338 lapua.
But have a nasty recoil.
The 260, 6.5 cm and 243 very lite recoil thus more accurate.
Just a summary, no preference.
I guess some of the reasons
I like the 243 are thus.
Light recoil, flat trajectory.
Very accurate up to 500 yards.
Very little elevation adjustment.
Same can be said about 6.5cm
260, 270 and others.

Reactions: NBK
My Tikka T-3 in 7mm Mag has recoil like a Kick in da bolas.... I have been practicing with my WWII mauser K-98 and can hit accurate targets at 300 yds with iron sights. I would really like to hunt me a deer or pig with it.

the .284 Winchester. It holds the F class 1,000 yard work record (200-13X).
@NBK
actually the current F-class open record is 200-22x that is a 20 shot string all into a 5" circle!!!!! now NRA rules let you keep shooting if you shoot all X's so he got two more in 5" x ring then fell out. this out of a .284 Shehane just a modified .284 Winchester flying a 184gr burger. 284 is 7mm for you playing the home game.

The 6.5CM is fine, its not magic sauce but its good. if you come out to the taft shoot you can watch me shoot inside the CM with the 6.5Rsaum if you are really in love with a 6.5 bullet and want factory ammo try the 6.5PRC.

at anything past about 400 yards drop is not a factor. you will have to lase and dial in distance to get a hit. so fast bullets do nothing but get there faster. The faster bullet will reduce windage but that is a moving target. once again the fclass guys shoot slow poke 184gr bullets and do amazing things.

@TaftHunter when are we going to have another long range shoot at your place so i can take your money again. ( last time taft beat me, i forgot to turn dial my range going from 1000k to 1200k )

Last edited:
To muddy this thread up more, I think I need/want a 26 Nosler. Thoughts from the knowledgeable posters? . Can't find it in a non custom LH rifle so it may never happen.

If you ever wanna sell your K-98 and it's in good condition with the eagles intact, etc., let me know...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the offer. My rifle does in fact have the Waffenamt stamps intact. I miss the days when Big 5 would get these and other historic beauties.

To muddy this thread up more, I think I need/want a 26 Nosler. Thoughts from the knowledgeable posters? . Can't find it in a non custom LH rifle so it may never happen.

The 26 Nosler is a finicky overbore cartridge. And Nosler's second to last in sales. Nosler's 28, 30 & 33 are far better. The 30 may be the best of the four. Take a hard look at the 6.5 PRC and if you reload, the 6.5 RSAUM. The 6.5x284 Norma is a winner as well. All three are close regarding ballistics.

My Tikka T-3 in 7mm Mag has recoil like a Kick in da bolas.... I have been practicing with my WWII mauser K-98 and can hit accurate targets at 300 yds with iron sights. I would really like to hunt me a deer or pig with it.
The Mauser action is one of the best.
These rifle we're relatively cheap.
I was to little to late to jump on one of these. I wanted one really bad.
Hard to find one that's not beat up or worn. I really like the 8 mm round. 180 grain will take any thing down. And very good ballistics.

Reactions: Smokey58

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu