7mm mag reccomendations

Looking to get a new rifle for Elk hunting. Was leaning towards a 7 mm. Any opinions on mfg or model?
I bought a Tika T-3 in 7mm Rem Mag 10 yrs ago for Elk but I have not used it on elk yet. I have taken a Mulie buck in California and its too much gun. It's very accurate and the action is very smooth which is why I bought it. Since its light, it kicks hard. There are some hard core big game guys on this forum that can give you much better advice then me.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
From all of the reviews from this board. A good break is a good idea.
I was at the gun shops yesterday afternoon. Lot of good stuff.
Looked at the Ruger American predator. Kimber , Howa,
My son in law is moving into bear country.
Looked at all different manufactures.
How it shouldered, the feel.
The weight. Was it to heavy, to light.
Dang. What's good for me wasn't for him.
He is a bigger dude.
I personally like the balance, feel of the Howa. I was looking at 6.5CR
He was looking at the 7mm, 300 WM
375 Mag, ect.

Reactions: Bige67
I bought a Tika T-3 in 7mm Rem Mag 10 yrs ago for Elk but I have not used it on elk yet. I have taken a Mulie buck in California and its too much gun. It's very accurate and the action is very smooth which is why I bought it. Since its light, it kicks hard. There are some hard core big game guys on this forum that can give you much better advice then me.
I have heard good things about Tika. I have a Sako hunter in 270 but not sure its enough gun for a bull Elk

Reactions: longbowhunter2

Put a brake on it and/or shoot lighter loads. Even if you don’t reload there are factory loads down to a 125 grain bullet. They’re even lead free.

Reactions: Smokey58
I have heard good things about Tika. I have a Sako hunter in 270 but not sure its enough gun for a bull Elk

It just depends how far you want to be able to shoot. The Barnes 130’s are still making over 1300 ft-lb’s at 400 yards, over 1600 at 300.

Good read about elk cartridges
Author talks about B.C. vs velocity
Kinetic energy at different distances.

I have a Sako chambered in 7mm Rem mag. It is an amazing rifle. From the bolt being extremely smooth like its riding on ball bearings to the super crisp adjustable trigger. I've used it on California deer and Utah big body deer with the same results "dead deer". It's very accurate but most off of the shelf rifles will be especially if you reload.

Although I will say as I'm getting older I find myself not reaching for my big caliber rifles as much. I now try and take the lightest recoiling rifle that will do the job.

The weight of the rifle/scope package is something that's extremely important to me as well.
YMMV

I have a Sako chambered in 7mm Rem mag. It is an amazing rifle. From the bolt being extremely smooth like its riding on ball bearings to the super crisp adjustable trigger. I've used it on California deer and Utah big body deer with the same results "dead deer". It's very accurate but most off of the shelf rifles will be especially if you reload.

Although I will say as I'm getting older I find myself not reaching for my big caliber rifles as much. I now try and take the lightest recoiling rifle that will do the job.

The weight of the rifle/scope package is something that's extremely important to me as well.
YMMV
Looking at christen arms as well. They seem like they have a good following. Is your Sako the 85? Any interest in selling?

Looking at christen arms as well. They seem like they have a good following. Is your Sako the 85? Any interest in selling?
No, I dont sell firearms. My kids will be using them when they get older I'm sure.

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu