A new friend and new memories

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Well, with the help of @Snake Charmer I have a new hunting partner. His name is Hank (named after a late friend of mine). He is a 5 month old small Munsterlander. He is a stout little fellow and will probably be a 60 pound dog when he finishes.

Hank is already doing simple retrieves in the water, started tracking as well. Next is to get him exposed to pointing and familiarize him to gunshot.

I look forward to the training, hunting and the companionship we will share.

I am giddy...

20230211_100012.jpg20230205_132713.jpg20230206_195154.jpg

No disrepect to the lab guy's, I have great respect for a good field bred lab but most folks have not seen what a versatile bred dog like this can do. I've seen plenty of both and train both breeds with no prejudice. I don't ever influence a potential owner's choice but why not have dog thet can do it all ? (Cover's ground close,Point's close , steady to shot ,steady to rise and retrieve to hand and water work with duck search as well... Planning on NBK and I working together to get Hank trained up. I think everyone will need to think twice in the future about a retriver as oppossed to versatile NAVHDA recognized breed when you witness a dog like this in action.

They have a switch. On and off. On out in the field and off at home. Part of the attraction to these dogs is how great a family dog they are. This will be my 4th Small Munsterlander. I am hooked!

How do they compare to say, Springers?

I can't answer that because I have never hunted or lived with a springer. I will say the the Small Munsterlander is very good at waterfowl hunting and upland game and is an amazing companion.

@Snake Charmer has more than likely worked with springers and is more qualified to answer the question.

Here is a crazy stat. When hunting with my Dieter, I never once lost a bird from geese to quail, never once.

Dieter Wishing in Geese.jpg

Come on... never? You coasted something into the next county or had a cripple get up and fly away or go down a hole.

I believe in hitting waterfowl very hard with big shot from a big gun. - Nash Buckingham

With that said, unfortunately we have all had birds fly off. My point was when a bird was down, Dieter always came back with said bird. And to my astonishment, there were times I thought there was no way he would find the bird.

The breed is stubborn and determined.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu