A new guys journey to find a 2022 hunting spot: Intro and Volume 1

I haven't done this but I've gotten some nice boots before that have come with worthless insoles. I've usually have returned the boots that came with terrible insoles, after spending what I did on the boots I've been pretty upset when the insoles flatten down to paper almost immediately.
I'll make another plug for Kenetrek. Years ago I had Bass Pro gift cards so I bought a pair of Kenetreks from them, total ~ $400+. My heels and instep blistered badly after several hikes so I called and Kenetrek customer service determined the fit was wrong and not a break-in issue. They exchanged me down a size with no charge, even though I didn't buy directly from them and Bass Pro was not willing to help since I wore them already. I have flat feet so they also recommended replacing the stock insole with their flatter cushion insole. Instantly everything was good in the world and now they're my favorite boot ever. Nothing tops good quality boots and US based customer service.

I'll make another plug for Kenetrek. Years ago I had Bass Pro gift cards so I bought a pair of Kenetreks from them, total ~ $400+. My heels and instep blistered badly after several hikes so I called and Kenetrek customer service determined the fit was wrong and not a break-in issue. They exchanged me down a size with no charge, even though I didn't buy directly from them and Bass Pro was not willing to help since I wore them already. I have flat feet so they also recommended replacing the stock insole with their flatter cushion insole. Instantly everything was good in the world and now they're my favorite boot ever. Nothing tops good quality boots and US based customer service.
Great boots, That's what I use. Did you know- They are made in Italy ? Most of the best hiking boots come from there. My suggestion is look towards Italian boots for the best in technology. Crespi is a great italian boot as well. I think if you follow the source on many of the recommended boots you will find the origin is from there. Not cheap but good, Also with Kennetreks they are resoleable. I have resoled mine twice and they only get better with age as long as you change the laces and keep them oiled.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Mason,

As I mentioned earlier, I like my Moab Merrel boots...$110.00 bucks at BPS...And Fred made me wonder where they were made...Here's the info on them.

Of all the great Merrell shoes we sell, the classic Moab has always been a favorite. There's a reason 'Moab' is an acronym for 'Mother of All Boots. ' Many websites and magazines for outdoor enthusiasts have praised the Moab line, holding up these boots as exemplars of support, versatility, and total performance

Is Merrell Made in USA?

All of the boots are made in the USA with premium materials, including a full grain waterproof leather upper, ITALIAN metal hardware, Tesivel 3-bar knit lining, and a high-performance Vibram rubber outsole....Aug 8, 2021

.moab boot.png

Reactions: MasonP
Mason,

As I mentioned earlier, I like my Moab Merrel boots...$110.00 bucks at BPS...And Fred made me wonder where they were made...Here's the info on them.

Of all the great Merrell shoes we sell, the classic Moab has always been a favorite. There's a reason 'Moab' is an acronym for 'Mother of All Boots. ' Many websites and magazines for outdoor enthusiasts have praised the Moab line, holding up these boots as exemplars of support, versatility, and total performance

Is Merrell Made in USA?

All of the boots are made in the USA with premium materials, including a full grain waterproof leather upper, ITALIAN metal hardware, Tesivel 3-bar knit lining, and a high-performance Vibram rubber outsole....Aug 8, 2021

.View attachment 52518
I like Merrells as well, use them around the ranch and as street shoes, good quality and never had a pair fail or fall apart as well as last until they have no sole left to walk on. Italian metal and Vibram soles which are Italian as well. If they fit and feel good could be a good choice.

Last edited:
One other tip, an possibly the most important:

Look into Sheepsfeet insoles.

Best money you will spend. Every boot needs better insoles. Every boot. Remember that. Hard to hunt effectively if your feet hurt.

Trust me on this one...
They are very comfortable, I put Sheepfeet in my boots and have no complaints. If you have an HSA/FSA from work it can help pay for it. Not sure I would call it the "best money" I've spent, but I really like them.

Mason,

Is Merrell Made in USA?

.View attachment 52518
Will add these to the list to try on! I do love supporting the good ol USA companies, especially nowadays where it seems to be all cheap chinese made hot garbage

Reactions: ilovesprig
I believe your feet are one of the tings that grow as you age. Also, they swell overtime as you hike so they will tighten up by the end of the day if you're on your feet a lot.
Long continuous hikes like though hikes apparently make them grow for some reason. It pisses people off when it happens because they're usually spending a good amount on footwear and to have a grow spurt and everything you own is then too small. Imagine all of a sudden being too large for every piece of footwear you own. I'd have to replace all sorts of stuff that aint cheap. Waders, snowboard boots. The list goes on.

Sorry stevo..getting a bit slow around here with the ducks not coming to wister yet....just trying to keep us a float!! Lol..

So the RONA is back (Did ever leave?) and Newssolini has MANDATED wearing masks again here in Cali starting tomorrow...I kind of like wearing those turtle neck thingies...Improves my looks......:joy:

.IMG_3459.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu