A22 Opener Report

Yea this moon has them going to bed early. When we where up in the Lagunas last weekend at light you could see deer moving out in the rifle area that you could tell where up in our area in the night and moving out early. Few more weeks and it will be time for some tough hunting.

This weekend was exciting for me. I started Saturday with some spot and stalk hunting. Temperatures were way down and the deer were moving. I bumped 9 antlerless in the first hour. Around 7:30 I came to a cluster of oaks and found six does, two spikes and a small forky eating acorns. (Yes the drop has begun.). A doe and a fawn put on a show for me as the doe was trying to push her fawn away to hang out with an immature buck (Slut!). Later the fork walked to within 20 yards and never saw me. That was fun.

About 10 AM I glassed a big fork feeding in a small meadow by himself. I put the spotting scope on him and saw he was nice. I'd say 16"-17" wide, really good mass and nice brow tines. I put a sneak on him and got to within 56 yards but decided to pass. I figured its too early in the season for shooting forks.

I'll post some pics of him tomorrow and you guys can tell me if I made the right call?

Wow that is exciting. Only you will know whether you should have passed or launched. I was hunting an area in Arizona in 2000 and on opening day I counted about 110 deer cross a trail I was watching (in shooting distance). A few of which were legal bucks. The next morning at 10:00 AM I shot (out of a group of 5 very nice bucks (all of them over 155") a 165"-170" 4X5. You can't kill bigger bucks if you don't pass on the smaller ones.

Looking forward to your photos and more stories.

“Slut” LOL

Sounds like a great forky with eye guards. That would be a tough call when you have two tags, but it is early in the season. After I start the chase its hard for me to stop. Looks like you’re in a good area with a good amount of deer. I bet you get a better one in the next few weeks when they start chasing the ladies.

"Later the fork walked to within 20 yards and never saw me"

Fork,Doe,Big buck doesn't matter if they are twenty yards from you It's exciting and even better when they don't know you are there.

Nice job John.

Here's the pics of the doe fight and the dink fork that came close.

Attachments

• IMG_8226.JPG
    IMG_8226.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8237.JPG
    IMG_8237.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8238.JPG
    IMG_8238.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 65
Here's the big forky. Sorry the pics are far away but I didn't want to blow the stalk messing with my camera.

Attachments

• IMG_8246.JPG
    IMG_8246.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8249.JPG
    IMG_8249.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8252.JPG
    IMG_8252.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 70
NBK said:
Wow that is exciting. Only you will know whether you should have passed or launched. I was hunting an area in Arizona in 2000 and on opening day I counted about 110 deer cross a trail I was watching (in shooting distance). A few of which were legal bucks. The next morning at 10:00 AM I shot (out of a group of 5 very nice bucks (all of them over 155") a 165"-170" 4X5. You can't kill bigger bucks if you don't pass on the smaller ones.

Looking forward to your photos and more stories.

110 deer!!! Wow. By the law of averages you gotta hold out. You know a monster will show up sooner rather than later...and you did. I assume that's the buck mounted on the other thread?

Lungpopper said:
Cool pics.
That big fork is a good one.
Looks like a little dried milk in the corner of the little ones mouth there.

Yeah, he's a 1 1/2 year old that is rather unlucky to be a fork. Some hunter might whack him. Hope not though. Those early forks tend to have big racks if they can make it to their 4th or 5th b-day.

Awesome pics and I nice area you have there. I agree that I see does kicking there little ones to the curb. We need to have one good cold storm come thru and it will be on, right now it is really tough.

Just got back about 4:30 pm. Worst wind I've seen in eons. We literally had it change in every direction today. Wind aside we saw a ton of deer. Seeing lots of juvenile bucks now. Nothing bigger than a fork.

My budding launched an arrow at a yote. Missed over his back by 2".

Fun day.

Well that’s encouraging to hear you guys are seeing bucks. My stand is in high brush. I don’t see much, but when I do it’s under 30 yards.

Someone is going to put a buck down soon I bet. My money is on Lungpopper to put down the first buck.

BuckHunter said:
Well that’s encouraging to hear you guys are seeing bucks. My stand is in high brush. I don’t see much, but when I do it’s under 30 yards.

Someone is going to put a buck down soon I bet. My money is on Lungpopper to put down the first buck.

Is there a pool going?

First buck? Biggest rack? Archery only? What's it take to get in?

My money is on Darryl too. I will get an official contest started. It will be for members SCHC members only. I think it should be for the biggest buck shot in Southern California regardless of the weapon used. SCHC will also donate $100 to the winner.

I think $10 would be a good #. If you guys reply quickly and agree I will send out a Bcc email to all members regarding the contest. There will need to be a picture with a punched 2011 tag.

What say you?

NBK said:
My money is on Darryl too. I will get an official contest started. It will be for members SCH members only. I think it should be for the biggest buck shot in Southern California regardless of the weapon used. SCH will also donate $100 to the winner.

I think $10 would be a good #. If you guys reply quickly and agree I will send out a Bcc email to all members regarding the contest. There will need to be a picture with a punched 2011 tag.

What say you?

Lungpopper is going to be tough to beat, but i love a challenge. I'm in for $10.00. Send me the entree form and rules. Where is the cut off line? Those Lake Isabella D9 and Tehachapi D10 bucks are pretty big. Also, this contest is on rack score right?

What are the boundary's? Rules? Equipment?
Top Buck leaves FRI for D7 pack trip.Pretty sure that will be the buck to beat.
Never know there could be a sleeper out there(O C HUNTRESS) That would be cool.

I'm in.

Just talked to my brother that I'm going w/into D7, he lives in X9A,the weather man says snow is expected by Saturday (1st day of hunt) down to 8K ft. Our camp is at 10K, "if it snows" the migration is on!

Thanks for the vote of confidants Lungpopper. I hope you didn't jinks me!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu