Alaska Guide Creations C.U.B. Review

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
I ordered an Alaska Guide Creations kodiak C.U.B. in Kryptek and all I have to say is..... WOW!! This pack has four compartments: two small side zipper pockets, a front zipper pocket and the main bino pocket (theres also a small elastic flap pocket for a game call or similar. The pack rides very nicely, its comfortable and doesn't move. I haven't taken it on any hunts yet but I ran mount Mcginty with it a few times and have been very happy with its feel. The bino pocket is held closed by a strap rather then a zipper or elastic, I like this feature because its silent, it incloses the entire binocular, and.......... its silent. The C.U.B. has the option for a fifth pocket underneath the pouch but I felt that defeated the purpose of the compact design. They also offer a bino tether but I decided to go without the tether because i'm often handing my zeiss to my buddy who uses leupolds so he can tell the difference between a deer bedded and a bush :D . I was originally worried about draw cycle clearance of the pack but I have been practicing drawing my bow and shooting without any obstruction. My only concern is shooting off the ground. I haven't tried to shoot my rifle while laying down with the pack on, but I assume this is a common issue with any front caring bino harness. With that said, Alaska Guide Creations obviously took this into account and used buckles to connect the harness to the pouch so you can quickly drop the pack or swing it off by simply unbuckling the straps. I carry a zeiss 10x42 in the bino pouch and a laser range finder in the front zipper pocket. I use a windage detector in one of the side pockets and care a spare havalon knife, waterproof matches and water purifying tabs in the other pouch. this gives me the ability to drop my backpack and purse game and if I need to survive over night I can with this small bino harness. At $85 this pack is really steep but its made in America, it seems durable, its made by hunters, it comes in four camo patterns, and the harness has an American flag on it. Super excited to chase deer with it come september 1st. I hope y'all find some use of this review.

http://www.alaskaguidecreations.com/store/

Attachments

• IMG_2764.jpg
    IMG_2764.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2765.jpg
    IMG_2765.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
a few more pics, let me know if you want more?

Attachments

• IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2768.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 24
Jon,

I know this is going to sound like a really dumb question, since it's called a pack.....But with the binos in the front pouch.....Does it hang in the front or on your back?

ps....Probably answering my own question....Why would it bother your shooting, if it's on your back?.... :-[

Thats not a dumb question, although i have never heard of a bino harness you wear on your back?

The entire harness is carried on your chest in front of your body. I wear mine centered between my packs and over my sternum.

My previous bino harness was just elastic straps connected to the bino itself. If I shot off my chest I would be laying directly on top of the binos. Although this is an issue with all bino harnesses and trying to shoot while laying down...... The Alaska Guide Creation C.U.B. has four large buckles at every point where the pack connects to the harness, this allows you to quickly snap off the buckles and drop the pack or swing the harness off so you can drop to a prone position and take your shot rather then trying to get your arms out of the harness and over your head and dropping to the ground.

wow I had some serious spelling mistakes..... I was in a rush and didn't have time to proof read that sorry to all who read it and were confused.. :-[

Thanks......Very nice piece of equipment..... 8)

ps.....I use a harness, but tuck the binos inside my leafyflage or jacket.....Never seem to be in the way..... ;)

ilovesprig said:
Thanks......Very nice piece of equipment..... 8)

ps.....I use a harness, but tuck the binos inside my leafyflage or jacket.....Never seem to be in the way..... ;)

I used to do this as well and tuck it behind my rifle shoulder strap but they would ride uneven or pop out while going down hill. Also they got super dirty and i was often cleaning them off. Hopefully the pack negates all of these issues.

Back