Alien from another planet

pothunter

Aug 30, 2015
Hi guys. I'm new here, just been reading for a few hours, and absolutely fascinated.

I'm from the UK. I live in the English Midlands. I'm gobsmacked by how different the hunting cultures are.

I'm a member of a syndicate which shoots driven pheasant and duck, in the traditional English way, which is definitely shooting rather hunting. The standard gun for this is a 12 bore o/u, but I shoot a 20 gauge Browning 725.

I also stalk deer (6 species in the UK, from little Muntjac and Chinese Water deer, through Roe, Fallow and Sika, up to quite big Reds) and shoot wild boar, which is sometimes driven sometimes not. .243 and .308 for the deer; 30-06 for the pigs.

The big theme I've come across here on the forum is finding, and jealously guarding, one's informal hunting spots. This is completely absent from our sport in the UK, because our island is so much smaller and more crowded (California is almost twice the size of the UK, but the UK has almost twice as many people in it).

In the UK (and most of Europe), you either own the land you shoot on, or you lease the right to shoot over it, or you have the written permission of the person who owns it to shoot over it. There is no public land that anyone with a license can hunt. Doesn't exist at all. That is like a dream to us.

On the other hand, if you want to stalk a deer, and you don't have land or shooting rights, anybody can book in with a professional stalker (who has shooting rights) and he will take you out, for not very much money, to stalk one. You don't need a license or any equipment. You can borrow a rifle and all his stuff.

I get the sense that this is not the case in the U.S.?

Which reminds me that I'm weirdly unable to access any .ca.gov internet page (dfa.ca.gov etc). I'm currently on a tiny island in the South Aegean with very slow internet, but it does work, just slowly. .ca.gov just doesn't work at all though. No page will load. I've tried for hours. Do they turn it off at weekends or something?

And in the absence of being able to get any info at all that way, please forgive me for asking, but can a visiting foreigner (who's prepared to fill in lots of forms well in advance) hunt at all in California? And are any deer or similar in season in the summer? I get the sense from the forum that it all kicks off about now.

Anyway, that's far too long a post. Got carried away. Apologies.

Great forum though. Loving it. Thanks for having me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site! shooting driven pheasant is on my bucket list of things to do!!!!!

yeah there is some secrecy and guarding of ones spots here but its because If one was to blabber about a HOT Spot it would not be hot for long. The amount of work it takes to harvest game on public land can sometimes be measured in years of effort.

Welcome to the site and PLEASE post up some photos, i am sure we all would love to see how you do it over there.

PH,

Welcome to SCH......California and much of the US is going the way of Europe & the UK.....Public land hunting shrinking and getting very expensive.....Fortunately for us, we have the 2nd amendment and many organizations that fight to keep our hunting heritage alive.

Love reading about far away places and show those pix............. 8)

Thanks guys. Im not usually a great one for photos, but our duck season starts tomorrow, pheasant 1 October and I'm out a few times this month after deer, so I'll see if something comes up that's worth snapping.

Meantime I'll keep reading and chip in occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu