Another one down in D15

KingSlug

Jul 27, 2015
I took a nice buck out of D15 yesterday, not a monster but a good size. I was out at 0400 on the trail and hiking in, I had a great idea were the couple of buck I was looking for were so I moved into a predetermined spot by about 0630. For some reason they have a fondness for this little valley. After I sat down I heard a little noise, then nothing.

Its a little scary to be sitting in the cougar country glassing when all a cougar would have to do is walk up behind and bite you in the neck.

So I sit until just before first light, I see a buck moving up the over the next ridge line, I get up to pursue or at least look over the ridge line to see where he might be bedding down. I couldnt find him, I glassed for a hour or so just at sun up. I saw some does but no buck.

Going back to my original lay up, I glass for a while and nothing. I figured I knew the deer in the area like to use this valley as a corridor, there must be a spring or something special about it and if I walked down it that it shouldnt add too much distance back to the truck. As I am standing up and looking for a bushwhacking route down, right below and I mean right below me is one of the bucks I have been looking for maybe 20 yards sleeping.

The hill side is around a 60 degree angle, it took some time for me to decide how to get a shot then how to get him, and if it was better to go down or come back up. I probably took 15 minutes to debate, as he was bedded out. When I shot the bullet came down from the top to the right of his spine between the shoulder and into the chest. He never moved, I gave him 30 minutes to expire while I was tying in some rope if he moved down the slope it would make the whole thing harder. When I got down to him I had to pull him up and move again and again as I moved up the hill in zigzag fashion.

So uneventful after that, I took some pics while cleaning him up but havent been able to find my iphone since. Might have to hike back because I keep putting on the same rock because I didnt want to lose it. It was a long hike out, I need to start bringing a kid. Need to look at my gps for total ground covered. I did have a mtnbkr help me out, about 2 mile from the trail head both going out he said he would be right back and sure enough he came back and help me get everything out and loaded.

Oh yeah used a CZ 550 6.5x55

Way to go King! You took that buck out whole? Thats serious work. My first buck came from that area and an "experienced" buddy came to help me. He wanted to drag the buck whole and when we could only move 40ft elevation in 20 min and another 60ft to go, he decided to cut the buck in half and pack out that way. I just pack meat out now.

Glad you had help from a great samaritan. Congrats.

Reactions: Goyaałé
Way to go King! You took that buck out whole? Thats serious work. My first buck came from that area and an "experienced" buddy came to help me. He wanted to drag the buck whole and when we could only move 40ft elevation in 20 min and another 60ft to go, he decided to cut the buck in half and pack out that way. I just pack meat out now.

Glad you had help from a great samaritan. Congrats.

Thanks, I broke it pretty much all the way down, but brought the majority of it out. Once I had it broken down and back on on the pack, it was just a slow walk out, real slow and ran through a lot of water. Reminded me of being in the USMC with a large size loaded ALICE pack on, I slipped once and had to de-pack and get it all back up, luckily I had gloves on. It seemed like I talked to myself a lot. I was on a defined mountainbike trail all the way out, decided the valley was too much work and risk. I used a Pack Rabbit Mule 2 frame, so it made it easier. Still a little burnt, much like Zombieland rule number 1: cardio (fitness); D15 is all about fitness/gutting it out and you get that from scouting.

https://pack-rabbit.com/carry-all-sling-load-frame-harness-set-multicam

No I never found my phone, I then had to pay work for it, which is crappy because I got rid of my phone cause I hated having 2. Been busy with work since then just started looking around the interwebs today. I borrowed a Felt Electric MTB, to look for the phone, if I could rent one for hunting season I would. Sitting in mall waiting for wife.

The deer was 3x3 with a wide stout rack, beyond that he looked like a deer...

No I never found my phone, I then had to pay work for it, which is crappy because I got rid of my phone cause I hated having 2. Been busy with work since then just started looking around the interwebs today. I borrowed a Felt Electric MTB, to look for the phone, if I could rent one for hunting season I would. Sitting in mall waiting for wife.

The deer was 3x3 with a wide stout rack, beyond that he looked like a deer...

Funny.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu