Another Rem 760 Question. Forend Rattle

jawshbawx

Jul 19, 2015
So im trying to improve this old 60's 760, and I've come across an issue. The forend creates a pretty hideous rattle whenever the rifle is moved at all. I took the wood off and the action bar assembly itself seems to have some play to it around the action tube causing the action bars to rattle all the way into the reciever. The forend wood actually makes contact with the bottom of the barrel so the finish is gone in that area. Does anyone know how to tighten the pump around that action tube or have some other suggestion on how to fix this?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

I believe I read somewhere that they had an o-ring to prevent the rattle, but they can shear off in the field and jam your slide. Most people opt to leave it off.

I'm waiting to pick up my 760 so did quite a bit of reading up. I'm wondering if pvc or similar may work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 7600 Rem very similar to your 760 and I understand they are having the same problems with rattle. The rattle which I first noticed a few years ago didn't bother me because I usually hunt from a stand, but I did notice that my groupings at the range were acceptable but getting worse during the same time frame. It was apparent that the forend was making solid contact with the barrel and I thought this might be affecting accuracy. When I removed the forend I noticed the same change in the finish at the base of the barrel described by jawshbawx. A closer look at the forend revealed that one small area of wood at the base of the forend was worn away on one side. I might not have noticed it until I looked at the opposite side of the forend and saw the difference in the finish and shaping of the wood. I thought I'd try putting several layers of electrical tape directly over the worn area as a trial to get an idea of how much buildup I'd need and the problem seemed to be corrected temporarily. For the final fix I used some Plastic Wood in layers to match the tape buildup. I actually went a little thicker since it's easy to sand the Plastic Wood. It solved the rattle but I haven't been to the range yet to see if it solved my other problem. I'll try to post some pics to give a better indication of the above.

So the barrel is supposed to contact with the forehead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TEF said:
I have a 7600 Rem very similar to your 760 and I understand they are having the same problems with rattle. The rattle which I first noticed a few years ago didn't bother me because I usually hunt from a stand, but I did notice that my groupings at the range were acceptable but getting worse during the same time frame. It was apparent that the forend was making solid contact with the barrel and I thought this might be affecting accuracy. When I removed the forend I noticed the same change in the finish at the base of the barrel described by jawshbawx. A closer look at the forend revealed that one small area of wood at the base of the forend was worn away on one side. I might not have noticed it until I looked at the opposite side of the forend and saw the difference in the finish and shaping of the wood. I thought I'd try putting several layers of electrical tape directly over the worn area as a trial to get an idea of how much buildup I'd need and the problem seemed to be corrected temporarily. For the final fix I used some Plastic Wood in layers to match the tape buildup. I actually went a little thicker since it's easy to sand the Plastic Wood. It solved the rattle but I haven't been to the range yet to see if it solved my other problem. I'll try to post some pics to give a better indication of the above.
I'd like to see that work you did, and see where exactly you placed it. Thank you! I'll have to look at the o ring possibility as well. Just don't want something that will fail in the field

I will attempt to attach the pics including rubbed finish on barrel, worn and unworn side of forend for comparison, testing with temporary tape, and with Plastic Wood in place. It looks messy since I gradually added more layers and the material was fairly liquid and no one can see it when it's reassembled anyway:) It did the trick. When supporting the weight of the rifle on the forend I can slide a piece of paper between barrel and forend easily now. By the way, jawshbawx, there is still a fair amount of play in the action bar assembly but no contact between forend and barrel no. I am anxious to see if this helps my accuracy. I'll let you guys know but it may be a while.

Attachments

• 1 Rem 7600.jpg
    1 Rem 7600.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 2 Finish on barrel marred.JPG
    2 Finish on barrel marred.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 3 area of signif. wear.jpg
    3 area of signif. wear.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 4 Opposite unworn side for comparison.jpg
    4 Opposite unworn side for comparison.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 5 tape test.jpg
    5 tape test.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 6 Plastic Wood.JPG
    6 Plastic Wood.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 32
To jet, no the barrel should not make contact with the barrel. Typically you should be able to slide a piece of paper between the barrel and forend. Bonejour taught me this trick. I understand that any contact can effect the barrel enough to decrease accuracy.

TEF said:
To jet, no the barrel should not make contact with the barrel. Typically you should be able to slide a piece of paper between the barrel and forend. Bonejour taught me this trick. I understand that any contact can effect the barrel enough to decrease accuracy.
Tom,
That is really impressive wear on the left side of the fore end compared to the right side, with matching burnish on the barrel. I suppose it must have to do with right-hand shooting, the way a right handed shooter cycles with the left hand? Nice fix! Thanks for posting, and I hope you get to the range to check it before our November hunt at Bob's place.
;)

I'll have to check my wear patterns when I get home. Thank you so much for the advice and taking the time to put the pictures up :)

Upon inspection, I do not believe this to be the issue. There isn't really all that much wear in that area of the forend. I think it's the metal tubing part of the action bar assembly that the stock rests on, that is loose around the tube. Might have to bite the bullet and take it to a smithy.

Thanks for the feedback jawshbawx. Interesting that you didn't have much wear on the forend. I'll be interested in what your smithy says

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu