Any IV Algae Updates?

jth

I know last year there was, or at least rumors of blue-green algae blooms at or around Wister. I didn't see anything last year personally but I don't want to risk my dog dying. Has anyone seen or heard of anything this year during their scouting?

So I actually went back and read the alerts and there are more for Wister recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to share. Looks like SJ has a caution as well. Not clear which ponds they are referencing. Gotta take care of our dogs !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jth
The problem was in Y15B-2 last year...Not sure if any dogs got sick...Lack of water movement and high temps can grow algae anywhere...I hunted San J last year on Mystic alot...My dog never had an issue.

The problem was in Y15B-2 last year...Not sure if any dogs got sick...Lack of water movement and high temps can grow algae anywhere...I hunted San J last year on Mystic alot...My dog never had an issue.
A dog died after being in there, that's why it was closed forever and later tested positive. I tend to think the dog died of something else even though it tested positive but that might be the Covid conspiracy theorist in me. Scout and Cake were in it the day after that dog with no issues , we were the last ones to hunt it. It was closed after the staff was notified by the dog owner. The silly thing to me is the ponds east of it are filled from that ponds outflow so closing one blind is basically a cover your ass move. There is a ton of pond scum on Wister ponds already like you normally see at the end of the season. I think the complaining last year about lack of water on the opener had them filling a lot of areas early but it's probably not still running and being pulled off.

The blue green algae blooms are extremely toxic and dangerous to dogs. A dog only needs to ingest a small amount to kill him. There isn’t really much a vet can do for the dog to save a dog who has ingested the poisonous algae. Many symptoms including seizures, weakness, collapse, confusion, drooling etc. It will destroy their liver and they will die. Not all algae blooms are toxic but you can’t tell which are toxic just by sight. Testing is necessary. I don’t mess around with his stuff. If there is algae floating on a lake, river or pond my dog doesn’t get near the water Since you can’t tell just by observation if it is toxic or not.
I had a friend years ago who was throwing a ball into a lake for his dog to fetch. There was algae there but he wasn‘t aware that algae could be toxic. His dog was dead the next day, it died on the table at the ER vet. Just be super careful . Check each body for algae before you let your dog in it.

Back