Anyone else seeing more birds this year?

Mychickbad

Mar 5, 2017
I have been seeing more birds this year, and hope the rain will help the next cycle of birds. Also does anyone else shoot crows and coyotes to help fawns and clutches of quail and turkeys?

There are more birds this year. I don't really screw with the crows but I do shoot dogs when I have the chance or when I call them in. Don't get me wrong on the crows I have shot my fair share I would just rather hunt coyotes.

Mcb,

Welcome to SCH......Crow season is closed (but I'm not telling you not to shoot the ba$stards).......Crows & ravens are brutal on all songbirds and of course, turkeys.

We did have a fair recruitment spring last year.....The problem is we just didn't start with many hens......This spring should be better.

I saw 11 jakes in one flock this morning with 3 longs (2 year olds).....Jakes are roaming pretty good right now. It also appears that most, if not all, the older hens are laying eggs.....Only jennies left now.

.019.JPG

Reactions: 5footshotgroup
Compared to last year there seems to be more jakes this year. As for MCC, long beards are down but hopefully we'll get more long beards moving as hens go to nest. Overall, the population is still very low. I want to say that the turkey population peak in the county was like 2008 to 2012. Hopefully we will se those numbers again soon. Just take it easy on those jakes on public land. There's a good amount out there on public land this year.

I can't speak to the overall numbers but I have noticed that birds have returned to some areas they left when water sources dried up. The spot I checked today hasn't had water for about 3 years and turkeys had disappeared with it, but now the creeks are refilled and, voila! The birds, seemingly few of them, appear to be back.
4db4119d7f126a92da333a1ab7ac06ba.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu