Anyone near LA area?

Matt

Jul 13, 2015
Hi All,

Awesome Forum! I'm completely new to bowhunting (and hunting in general) and was wondering if anyone that lived near the Los Angeles area was willing to show the ropes to a newbie?

I've been doing nothing but reading articles/threads and watching videos on hunting and cannot wait to get out. However, even getting out and shadowing someone just to learn the fundamentals would be great.

All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

hey welcome Matt,
I live up in north LA just out side of the valley (eewww) anyway ive been hunting and fishng and general outdoor stuff for a LOOONG time. I havent gotten into bow hunting yet but i used to bow shoot in my younger days. im sure you know youve got to put in the miles on the truck and the boots. What are you planning on hunting with the bow? Deer?..... Do you have a tag yet for this year? any areas you have been looking at or scouting?

have fun

Welcome Matt.......Lots of questions solves a lot of problems that come with anything new.......Ask away and I'm pretty sure someone on here will have a legit answer...... ;)

GSPman said:
hey welcome Matt,
I live up in north LA just out side of the valley (eewww) anyway ive been hunting and fishng and general outdoor stuff for a LOOONG time. I havent gotten into bow hunting yet but i used to bow shoot in my younger days. im sure you know youve got to put in the miles on the truck and the boots. What are you planning on hunting with the bow? Deer?..... Do you have a tag yet for this year? any areas you have been looking at or scouting?

have fun

Hi GSP,
I live in the valley.. (sherman oaks) lol. I've been fishing my whole life but just got into bowhunting. I live about 30 seconds from a free archery range so i constantly go but i want to get out and hunt. as far as the truck situation, that is one area i fall short. i have a small car and figured i would bring a cooler to put the meat in. In regard putting in miles on the boots, thats not an issue at all. I hit the gym 5-6 days a week and run 30+ miles a week whether through the neighborhood or on my local hiking trail. Gonna start adding weight into a backpack for my hikes though.

Preferably i'd like to hunt deer, pigs or turkey and am attending a hunting class this Saturday in Palmdale for the hunter's safety course. Once I have that, i'll get a deer and boar tag. I have no idea where i'd want to hunt. I've seen videos of people getting deer in D11 among other places. I figured it would be best for someone to show me the ropes for my first hunt. What to look for, how to stalk, how to skin and prep after the kill, etc.

All help is greatly appreciated and i'd be more than willing to tag along for a hunt.

Wow sounds liek you are ship shape. Ive been out of the field too long. my job as me sitting in the car the past few years with little time to train like i used to. i can still hike all weekend all day none stop with a pack on so thats the main thing. lots of guys here get out and scout many many hours. thats the key. The time to sacout is why i havent been into deer as of late. If no one else volunteers id love to get out and scout around show you what i know and maybe get a buck for you this year. Ive got the truck and have no problem driving. lots of guys go at it alone in the back country with no problems but with my training in out doors i just cant see going too far into the country by your self. Lets get some boots on the ground.

GSPman said:
Wow sounds liek you are ship shape. Ive been out of the field too long. my job as me sitting in the car the past few years with little time to train like i used to. i can still hike all weekend all day none stop with a pack on so thats the main thing. lots of guys here get out and scout many many hours. thats the key. The time to sacout is why i havent been into deer as of late. If no one else volunteers id love to get out and scout around show you what i know and maybe get a buck for you this year. Ive got the truck and have no problem driving. lots of guys go at it alone in the back country with no problems but with my training in out doors i just cant see going too far into the country by your self. Lets get some boots on the ground.

GSP let's do it! i shot you a PM.

Matt,

I spent a LOT of time hunting in CA after moving here from Eastern Washington until I was successful.

My cousins and I spent about 12 days a month from 93-2000 hunting Fort Hunter Ligget and the Cleveland National Forrest. we did kill some pigs and deer but it was a lot of learning. and just plain fun. we were young and dumb!

In 2000 we bought a piece of property up around Coalinga and our success rate skyrocketed. a couple years later I became a member at Tejon. Its a big investment but my success rate is close to 80%. I have taken quite a few people up there to get their first pig.

If I can make a suggestion it would be to go with a guide for your first big game hunt. do some research but it sounds like there are some great guides on this website.

I had the luxury of growing up and being taught how to care for an animal in the field, granted there are a ton of YouTube videos but nothing compares to hands on training.

You will learn a lot and save yourself a ton of money learning on your own.

In addition get a deer tag for D11 and spend some time in the hills trying to get lucky

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you in regards to where to go or what to do when you get there

and buy yourself a VERY good pair of binoculars and a VERY good fitting pair of boots with ankle support. I can not stress how important binoculars are. Check out the Vortex glass. I really like them for the price. If money is not an obstacle go with Swarovski. I prefer 10x40 or 10x50. Get a binocular harness. Spotting scopes are nice but I rarely use mine.

Im not on here a lot. you can email me at [email protected]

Jeff

Hi Mark and GPS:

I am in a similar position as Mark. I also live in SO and a few min from the same free archery range. I also have been going up to Oaktree gun club to shoot their 3d range. I used to hunt a long time ago but I was a rifle hunter then. My last hunt in California was zone x10 rifle in the 80's so that will tell you a bit about how long it's been...although I have hunted in Europe with my brother in law for pigs, red deer and woodcock.

I am interested in deer and turkey here in Cali as well as pigs and eventually Tule Elk.

If you guys need/want a third wheel I would love to join you. I am going to do the A19 (X10 area archery hunt) this year so I have been getting in shape for it.

Thanks and shoot straight!

Rondore,

Welcome to SCH.....How'd you do in X-10?....I used to hunt the early mountain quail season in that zone.

back in the 80's that zone was still really good. Held more than it does today.

I never got a buck there but my hunting partner got a really heavy 4x4+cheater.

What I remember was a nasty snow storm in december though.

Really looking forward to a scout in the next 2 weeks or so

Rondore said:
Hi Mark and GPS:

I am in a similar position as Mark. I also live in SO and a few min from the same free archery range. I also have been going up to Oaktree gun club to shoot their 3d range. I used to hunt a long time ago but I was a rifle hunter then. My last hunt in California was zone x10 rifle in the 80's so that will tell you a bit about how long it's been...although I have hunted in Europe with my brother in law for pigs, red deer and woodcock.

I am interested in deer and turkey here in Cali as well as pigs and eventually Tule Elk.

If you guys need/want a third wheel I would love to join you. I am going to do the A19 (X10 area archery hunt) this year so I have been getting in shape for it.

Thanks and shoot straight!

Hey Rondore,

I'm still in the process of getting my hunting license. I was supposed to go this last weekend for the safety course our in palmdale but my gf got a lung infection so i passed and now have to wait until it's back at Oak Tree in August. =/

Anyway, I talked to GSP and we're going to set something up. Just a matter of when since i don't have my license or any tags yet. shoot me a PM and lets hit up the range sometime. I'm pretty much there everyday haha.

Hey Matt I dont know if your got your license yet or not, but I also hunt d11 and I usually stick to bouquet canyon, sanfransquito canyon, lake Hughes road, and sawmill mountain. I use to go to big rock creek area and hike in. But wright wood and big rock creek are always packed with people so I tend to stay away now. Last year I was above Castaic and missed a nice buck, there is alot of places for you to park at main gate and walk in. Where ever you go tho make sure u find water close by because this drought is terrible ik hoping el nino messes CA up this year lol.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu