Archers, how fine tuned do you really need to be?

Macsteve

Jun 23, 2016
Picked up some broadheads today from BnA. Walked out with judo tips & grim reaper mechanicals (which are just Knarly FYI)

Got my bow bumped up to 60lbs and put about 20-30 arrows down range from sitting On the ground practicing a stealthy and slow draw.

Here's my results for broadheads @ 20 meters. Would you consider this good to go or fine tune more? You can see the current arrow + the 2 holes near it
e94e939eda4eba581bf0024ca8884e4d.jpg

Will practice longer range and setting the 30 and 50 pins up tomorrow, but I'm limited to 20 yards at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One arrow is not a good way to tell, a group would be a better.

If all your arrows are just a little right then yes I'd move it. At longer distances it shows a lot more

3 arrows. Look @ the holes near it. I'm just only shooting 1 broadhead to keep the others sharp.

Good point error increases with distance. I'll see how 35 and 50 works.

Thanks for the input

Probably the wrong guy to comment, but I think that looks great.....I don't really feel comfortable past 30 yds. So, I don't release unless I'm inside that.....I too use Grim Reapers.....This guy was walking hard away.....Hit him high and the Reaper exited near his right shoulder.

.IMG_4121.JPG

What are you asking? Does the bow need more tuning or do you need more work. We can't answer the question about the bow. Paper tune and longer shots will tell you if it's right. For sure you need more work, it's not a knock on you it's a bow hunting fact that we all need to shoot often. Practice at ranges out to 60 yards. Shoot standing, on one knee, around a tree, up Hill and down.

Get your draw weight up to 70 lbs and do it while keeping the bow pointed at the target. Shoot in the wind.... I think you get it

Reactions: Macsteve
No doubt more work is needed. I guess I was asking about paper tuning. Was curious if I need to adjust it down to the perfect millimeter

I just bought my bow in Jul. I I've been shooting every day, fine tuning sights and my form. 1, 000s of arrows, then broadhead tuning. I can get out to 75 yards in the backyard.

Errors really start to show up at 50 yds and more.

This my group at 65 yds. With 1 broadhead and the rest field points. I think my limit on deer will be 50 yds with a good broadside presentation.

Attachments

• 65yds.jpg
    65yds.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 26

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu