Archery Tag Confusion

gregg

Feb 16, 2014
San Diego
Hey guys, so I got D16 as my first tag for rifle but I want archery as well. Last year my friend got A22 and was able to hunt early and also late into the season. I see from the DFG site for my second deer I have A, AO and A32 available. My plan is to scout early with my bow, then general season with rifle for D16, then if possible late season bow.

What would be my best choice for San Diego County? Not that interested in the A32. I know nothing of the area.

The d16 tag has an early archery season date of Sept 3 thru Sept 25 and is bow only. It then closes until the general season, and then you can use either bow or rifle.

If you want to get a second tag, There is an archery only tag.... the AO. It is buck only and has the same dates as the d16 tag. Early archery and general season.

Here is the list of avaliable tags as of today
AVAILABLE DEER TAGS
AS OF: 7/6/2016 8:53 AM
Code Hunt Name Qty
AO Archery-Only 96,862
A A Zone 54,280
B B Zones 9,859
D3-5 Zone D3-5 19,743
D7 Zone D7 2,873
D8 Zone D8 5,919
D10 Zone D10 402
D11 Zone D11 4,589
D13 Zone D13 3,329
D14 Zone D14 865
D15 Zone D15 1,306
D16 Zone D16 717
D19 Zone D19 689
A18 Archery Hunt in Zone X9C 123
A19 Archery Hunt in Zone X10 43
A22 San Diego Archery Either-Sex 24
A32 Ventura/Los Angeles Late Season Archery
Either-Sex

Thats kinda why i didnt mention the a22. Its not available as a 2nd tag because it is a premium tag. With only 24 left I dont think there will be any available after the Aug 2nd deadline to get it as an OTC tag.

dano626 said:
Thats kinda why i didnt mention the a22. Its not available as a 2nd tag because it is a premium tag. With only 24 left I dont think there will be any available after the Aug 2nd deadline to get it as an OTC tag.

Ok, that's what I was figuring. I tried for the G13 and got the D16, I'll pick up the AO then. Thanks for all the help.

dariian said:
So A22 is available but I don't see it as an option for me. What am I missing.

That is your only option, if you want to hunt after the D-16 rifle season.

ilovesprig said:
dariian said:

Not an option for me any more since my first tag was g13 but I didn't get it, so I got a d16.

My original thought was I wanted to archery hunt as much as I could but also knowing how low the probability was of success I wanted to get rifle also to make my chances better but also hunt as long as possible into the season.

dariian said:
ilovesprig said:
dariian said:

Not an option for me any more since my first tag was g13 but I didn't get it, so I got a d16.

My original thought was I wanted to archery hunt as much as I could but also knowing how low the probability was of success I wanted to get rifle also to make my chances better but also hunt as long as possible into the season.

Per your statement, you say you didn't get your G-13 choice. That to me means, you have only one deer tag.....If that's the case, then you can absolutely get an A-22, if there's any left (24 right now) by Aug 2nd.

ilovesprig said:
dariian said:
ilovesprig said:
dariian said:

Per your statement, you say you didn't get your G-13 choice. That to me means, you have only one deer tag.....If that's the case, then you can absolutely get an A-22, if there's any left (24 right now) by Aug 2nd.

Ahhhh, ok. So Aug 2 is when the remainder A22 will be available as a restricted hunt if there are any left. If they are all taken my best bet will be the AO. I only have D16 as of now.

I thought July 7 was when remainder tags where available. Thank you for the clarification.

SurfNHuntSD said:
Yep Aug 2nd, and they go quick. 8am I think they start selling. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
So does 8 am work for the Internet as well? Like at 8am can I purchase a tag on the DFG site?

Truduct said:
SurfNHuntSD said:
Yep Aug 2nd, and they go quick. 8am I think they start selling. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
So does 8 am work for the Internet as well? Like at 8am can I purchase a tag on the DFG site?
Yea worked for me before. I logged in a few mins before 8am and D16 wasn't there yet.. so I kept checking and at 8 it appeared and bought it.

People that have no deer tag or have bought a tag that is not restricted (D-16 is restricted) can buy a A-22 or D-16 right now.....As far as getting that 2nd tag.....Last year we got our D-16's at 8:00 am thru the internet (Jacob's phone).....I can also tell you last year the computer had problems at the Lake Henshaw store. Probably because of the amount of requests.

Good thread; lots of info. A couple more points that have not been made:
First, if you applied and did not get drawn for your first choice, you should have got a point. Check that on your account.
Second, the borders of archery zones don't precisely follow the borders of the corresponding general hunt zones. For example, A22 is only the portion of D16 that lies within San Diego County.

Only 4 left as of this morning A22 is now gone

AVAILABLE DEER TAGS
AS OF: 7/8/2016 8:44 AM
Code Hunt Name Qty
AO Archery-Only 96,722
A A Zone 53,787
B B Zones 9,245
D3-5 Zone D3-5 19,471
D7 Zone D7 2,686
D8 Zone D8 5,878
D10 Zone D10 392
D11 Zone D11 4,573
D13 Zone D13 3,317
D14 Zone D14 822
D15 Zone D15 1,299
D16 Zone D16 692
D19 Zone D19 678
A18 Archery Hunt in Zone X9C 121
A19 Archery Hunt in Zone X10 41
A22 San Diego Archery Either-Sex 4
A32 Ventura/Los Angeles Late Season Archery
Either-Sex

Sort of similar question. If someone doesn't get their first draw can they then purchase a second tag. Or is it that no one can purchase a second premium tag before August. The example would be that I got D16 as my second choice draw. Could I then have purchased an A22 (before they sold out) right away or would I have had to wait til August?

I was able to go to the DFG office last year, pay a $10 fee and swap my D16 for the A22 before the Aug. 2nd date. I then purchased the D16 at 8am on Aug 2nd.
You may wish to opt for this as your best stab at it now knowing that there is just about 2 dozen A22 tags currently available. π

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu