Arizona border hunt

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
Hello all, I drew the 36a/b whitetail tag and have never hunted that unit. I hear the border issues can be a pain. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Hello all, I drew the 36a/b whitetail tag and have never hunted that unit. I hear the border issues can be a pain. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I have hunted Mearn's quail down there for the last three years in a row, and I will be hunting Coue's deer there this year as well in 35A. On my quail hunts I always stay in a hotel but for deer we are planning to camp. I have not run into any immigrants or smugglers in my time there, but the evidence of their passage is everywhere. I talked with a crew of guys repairing a section of fence two years ago, they said a drug truck had plowed through it a few days prior. Border patrol presence is heavy down there, about like what I see here in San Diego when I hunt south of the 8 freeway.

Check out coueswhitetail.com for info from people with more experience than me. I've read a few stories that'll raise your eyebrows but mostly people's experiences there seem to mirror mine here: the illegals generally just want to keep their heads down, keep moving and avoid confrontation. I have read stories of drug mules that are carrying rifles and have bales of marijuana strapped to their backs. I would imagine it's in their best interest to avoid contact as well... They want to get paid. But they do have rifles.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. But you won't know until you go! Good luck down there. Post it up when you get back.

Reactions: KoozeDeer and NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu