Assist on a Predator Hunt

8SteelTown

Hey fellas, I'm looking for some assistance from an SCH member. My hunting partner and I have been coyote hunting in the neighborhood of 40 times in the last 6-7 months. My buddy's first time out with his AR, he dropped one under the guidance of SoCalRebelHunter. A few times we went after that, we saw 1 coyote (maybe 5 times) but didn't have a chance for a shot. We haven't been frequenting the same stands more than 1 time per 4-6 weeks. We park away from where our setups are, walk to them quietly, settle in, we don't stink, wind in our face (minimal), sun at our back (under cover not casting shadows), good shooting lanes, FoxPro Firestorm call, Mojo Critter decoy, and NOTHING seems to be working at any spots. We see lots of signs of cats and yotes (prints and dook), but we get no response calls and no bites to the distress calls. SCRH thinks we may be just hitting spots that are too frequented by others. I'd like to get one of you Coyote Slayers to come along for a hunt and see if you can identify weaknesses in what we're doing. We've got all the gear and the obsession with dropping predators but the frustration is driving us mad!

Thanks

Jesse

If you guys didn't live so far away I would definitely. But first off don't move any part of your body but your eyes. They won't see you if you don't move. I've called them into shotgun range in school clothes.. How long do you sit on a stand? I sit minimum 30 minutes, sometimes 35-40. I use my prey in distress sound for 15-20 minutes then switch over to coyote pup in distress for the rest. Do you have a timer on your remote? Doesn't matter what season they will come to it. How loud do start the call off? I start where I can barely hear it, then every 2 minutes work the volume up. Do this cause if you play it too loud it could blow out whatever is in your area. Never play full volume. Don't sit on the top of the hill, just cause the sun is at your back doesn't mean they won't see you. But chances are where you call is called by other people, in that situation I would find a whole new spot..

TaftHunter said:
If you guys didn't live so far away I would definitely. But first off don't move any part of your body but your eyes. They won't see you if you don't move. I've called them into shotgun range in school clothes.. How long do you sit on a stand? I sit minimum 30 minutes, sometimes 35-40. I use my prey in distress sound for 15-20 minutes then switch over to coyote pup in distress for the rest. Do you have a timer on your remote? Doesn't matter what season they will come to it. How loud do start the call off? I start where I can barely hear it, then every 2 minutes work the volume up. Do this cause if you play it too loud it could blow out whatever is in your area. Never play full volume. Don't sit on the top of the hill, just cause the sun is at your back doesn't mean they won't see you. But chances are where you call is called by other people, in that situation I would find a whole new spot..

I sit still as can be. I try to set up so we have 180 degree field of view where I have left 90 and he has right 90. Very slow head moves if needed. We used to sit an hour a stand but were told if they don't respond in 20 minutes, move locations, so we've done anywhere from 20-45 minutes. We've done both where we try a locater call first as well as distress first. Run it for 5 minutes, let it rest, repeat. We've tried to mix a distress with a territory / locater call as well as some mixed in pup distress. Volume on the FoxPro goes to 20 so we start out at 5, then increase gradually to 10 after the 3rd sequence. Have only had it at 20 once due to the setup of the location (very long drawn out valley with hills that block the sound). Always sitting with cover so when the sun is at our back, the rock or bush casts the shadow and not us. Going to get into some desolate land and see if our same techniques will have different results. Just losing confidence. I know that a couple of our spots frequents hikers so more probable that they would ONLY be active at night. Maybe we'll make a trip up for "Taft Guided Hunts" ;)

I've called tons of coyotes in around 25-30 minute mark, most are within 15 minutes. Sounds like you're doing everything okay. Well if you ever come down for a couple days I can promise you a shot at one. We call one in almost every time we go out.. Last night we called one in, smartest one I've ever called, he kept trying to smell me at 100 yards he took 3 minutes to get from 100 to 60, then he stood on his hind legs and was looking over the brush trying to find me, but I panicked and shy at 60 yards with my shotgun. Literally the only time I haven't brought a shotgun with me.. But yeah if you ever come up here, expect a little action.

TaftHunter said:
I've called tons of coyotes in around 25-30 minute mark, most are within 15 minutes. Sounds like you're doing everything okay. Well if you ever come down for a couple days I can promise you a shot at one. We call one in almost every time we go out.. Last night we called one in, smartest one I've ever called, he kept trying to smell me at 100 yards he took 3 minutes to get from 100 to 60, then he stood on his hind legs and was looking over the brush trying to find me, but I panicked and shy at 60 yards with my shotgun. Literally the only time I haven't brought a shotgun with me.. But yeah if you ever come up here, expect a little action.

I'm down to make the trip up there. Maybe March or so. I'll keep you posted. Whereabouts should I look for a hotel?

And what kind of calling would you want to do? Close range action or watch them come from a distance. If you for sure come down I'll leave some spots alone for a month, so you'll have a great chance at getting something

CMPeterson said:
That is super cool Taft, you are very wise and generous for a youngster!

Thanks! I just love for others to have a good time and enjoy what I love to do. And I've been calling since I was 10 or 11 on my own at 12, so I've gained some experience over the years.

2012 Coyote Hunt: November 24-December 21st

28 Days 4824 miles traveled

Arizona
Stands: 28
Coyotes Called: 9
Coyotes Killed: 5

Utah
Stands: 22
Coyotes Called: 1
Coyotes Killed: 1

Nevada
Stands: 25
Coyotes Called: 9
Coyotes Killed: 8

California
Stands: 12
Coyotes Called: 2
Coyotes Killed: 0

Total stands: 87
Total coyotes Called: 21
Total Coyotes Killed: 14
Total Coyotes recovered: 12
Call In Success Rate: 21/87=24%

Jesse the data above is from a coyote exclusive hunt I did last year for 28 days straight in Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and California. I thought I would post it just for reference because if you look at the numbers Utah really stands out. I went 21 stands in a row in Utah without so much as seeing a coyote. Now it just so happens that Utah has a bounty program in place that offers hunters $50 for every coyote they turn in and because of it that state gets a lot of pressure. Probably more pressure than any of the other states I hunted in so I don't think it is a coincidence that Utah was the least productive state for me. The point I'm trying to make is that from what you posted it sounds like there isn't anything wrong with the way your setting up or calling. It just sounds like you may be putting too much pressure on the same areas. When I first started hunting coyotes I put a lot of pressure on my spots and noticed that they stopped producing. I have called spots one week and then called them again the following week and still had coyotes respond but I would not recommend doing that on a regular basis. In my personnel opinion once every four to six weeks is too much pressure. I am constantly searching for new ground to hunt and there are many times that I may hunt during the morning and then spend the rest of the day scouting for new areas. The next two days you plan to go out coyote hunting strictly go scouting instead. That way you will be able to locate some new area and hopefully end the dry spell.

TaftHunter said:
And what kind of calling would you want to do?

Thanks Taft. Speaks volumes for you as a man and generous to help a new predator hunter. My areas are mixed with some spots ranging 600 yards and others maxing out at 50 yard visibility through canyons so anything works for me. I just want to get the dam skunk off me! I can set a vacation week any time. I'll let you know in a week or so.

Josh Pearson said:
It just sounds like you may be putting too much pressure on the same areas. In my personnel opinion once every four to six weeks is too much pressure.

Good to know. I've scouted all over The place and have 6 really good spots within a 40 mile radius. I know for a fact that other people are hunting upland in the same area so maybe now that the season is over maybe it'll help close that gap. Thanks for the stats and your thoughts. Makes me feel a little better about it. I have a few more spots to scout in the county. Thanks again Josh.

8SteelTown said:
TaftHunter said:
And what kind of calling would you want to do?

Thanks Taft. Speaks volumes for you as a man and generous to help a new predator hunter. My areas are mixed with some spots ranging 600 yards and others maxing out at 50 yard visibility through canyons so anything works for me. I just want to get the dam skunk off me! I can set a vacation week any time. I'll let you know in a week or so.

Okay we have everything. I'll see when my spring break is we can probably work that out

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu