AZ Javi left over tag

Shake N Bake

Nov 4, 2012
Well my son told me all he wanted to do is hammer a javalina with his bow this year. So while I was out in December chasing mulies I picked him up a multi unit Javi tag. When Jan 1st rolls around and my buddy calls me after he rolls his truck in foot and half of snow in our pig area, i decide not to go there. Plan B, I decide to travel to one of the southern units that does not have any info about pigs in the AZDFG regs. Day 1 no pig sightings but we did find some sign. Day 2 were glassing up a storm when I pick 2 pigs up about a mile away. We were off to the races and within striking distance in what seemed like minutes. I had Hunter 25 yards from 5 pigs for 20 or so minutes. Well he never got a clear shot due to the dense Palo Verde trees. One of them caught our movement and buggered out of the area. My son says, "Dad, I could smoke a quarter at 25 yards and there was no way for me to slip an arrow into one of those hogs". Well the rest of the day there were some deer sightings but nothing I wanted to burn my tag on. We were feeling the pressure on our 3rd and final day of the hunt. Hunter wanted to check an area I had hunted many years ago. He said he was feeling it so we headed off. At 2 pm my other son (Gunner) spots 4 pigs about 400 yards from us. It's on, we get are wind dialed and run about 300 yards side Hilling to get ahead of them. We sneak in and bust them at 15 yards. The last pig makes the fatal mistake of stopping quartering away at 37 yards. Dad, dad yardage......hunter 37.....whoosh the arrow is off. He hammers this pig in the left ham entering the chest. This pig goes 50 yards leaving a blood trail a blind man could follow. Grave Digger Brodheads are brutal. We stood over that pig and gave a big family hug. No better feeling gentlemen than watching your kids flourish in my passion. The smile says it all. Enjoy my friends. Team Arrow Terror strikes again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-07-16-02-41.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-07-16-02-41.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2015-01-07-16-01-39.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-07-16-01-39.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
Nice going!

I've had luck using a predator call to bring them in when busted or need them to move to get a clear shot

Yep we have had to hit them with our bows to get them away using calls in the past. I did use a call on the first group but whatever was translating over that call just sent them running faster!

Shake N Bake said:
I did use a call on the first group but whatever was translating over that call just sent them running faster!
haha yeah wonder what the translation was

We ate the ribs and backstrap in the field it was great! Guess it's who you talk to, some say it's horrible others like it. Crock pot always makes anything taste good.

that's awesome I need to get a tag for Arizona I already have three points so I imagine I should be able to draw it soon

Yep got mine OTC leftover tag.
When I apply I have always been drawn.

Outstanding job Hunter. Great job getting the little man on the game Dad!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu