Backcountry foods

Papadeuce

Aug 27, 2018
Carlsbad
In an effort to get back to some regular hunting discussion I’m curious what everyone does for backcountry food. What brand/flavor of freeze dried do you guys like? Snacks? Etc.

Anyone making their own stuff? Im curious about types of cooking setups used for packed in, multi day trips too.

Or we can always talk about rona, recalls and Larry. Seems popular these days, lol.

Duck machaca burritos for the duck blinds..did mountain house once on a multi day trip. The chili mac was better then beef strog..

On single day outings just jerky and some granola bars. I really dig Korean bbg pork jerky that I find at costco. One day I'll drop a mammal big enough to make my own snack sticks out of until then its store bought.

Oh and I want to get a jet boil. Those things are slick! @Dawnandusk whipped up some coffee in no time for us on a cold morning in the back of the jeep during Turkey season before we set off.

Duck machaca burritos for the duck blinds..did mountain house once on a multi day trip. The chili mac was better then beef strog..

On single day outings just jerky and some granola bars. I really dig Korean bbg pork jerky that I find at costco. One day I'll drop a mammal big enough to make my own snack sticks out of until then its store bought.

Oh and I want to get a jet boil. Those things are slick! @Dawnandusk whipped up some coffee in no time for us on a cold morning in the back of the jeep during Turkey season before we set off.
Jet boils are great. I’ve used the mini no for like 6-7 years or so. This year I’m going to try a soto windmaster out for comparison.

I want to know more about the Korean bbq jerky, hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I have had many a meals in camp on those swing out grill grates Steve.
Yep I believe that swingout is still at Jeff's place. We used to cook off of it on eucalyptus coals. If remember right I bought it from Cabela's way back when. Remember George Hanson screaming Where's my steak !? Good times for sure....

Reactions: NBK
Dinners I do Mtn House and Top Ramen with vienna sausage. Clutch move is I bring Taco Bell hot sauce packets to liven it up. Depending on where I'm going I'll bring some Tony Chachere seasoning in an old film bottle in case I bag a quail or rabbit during my downtime.

Snacks I'm not a big snack guy but I'll bring bars for breakfast, homemade jerky (duck usually), or straight peanut butter. If I have room in the pack the winner is spray cheese with Ritz crackers!

Jetboil is awesome for prepping meals and morning coffee. So quick. I bring those Folgers instant coffee sticks.

We never really packed in, per say but we would have to make sure the vehicle was packed for anywhere from two to 10 days. Of course we planned some of our meals hoping to either catch or shoot something for some of our meals, be it quail, chukar, squirrels, dove or fish of one kind or the other. We alway packed canned stews or chili or made them ahead of time. Most meal were cooked over the camp fire on a grill or grate. We mainly used the Coleman stove for making coffee or warming water for a PTA bath. Some of that places we would go were a good distance from the closes place where we might be able to get some supplies so, we had to be certain our trips were well thought out. We tried to split up the supplies between the different group of guy that went, I'll bring this, you bring that sort of arrangement. There was generally one guy who would say he didn't have time to get stuff together so we would end up stopping someplace to get what he or they were suppose to bring. I'm a real list kind of guy so, very seldom anything was left behind. Dry camping can go pretty good when you are well prepared. Now for true pack in camping, BOWUNTR would be the guy to get advice from. Me and horses have a mutual dislike for each other.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Mountain House. For snacks cheese, salami, Fritos, nuts, peanut butter, folders coffee tea bags, liquid IV, hot cocoa packets, energy chews. The list goes on but this is basically my diet on a backpack hunt. Throw in some candy also it’s nice to have after a long day.

Midway just had 30% on peak refuel, so I picked up a few days worth. I have only used mountains before.

I usually make a few PB&J sandwiches, proteins bars, mountain house, jerky, nuts, coffee, and some drink mixture (liquid IV type).

Until I'm back in the 170's I just dont eat on outings, rides, etc. I just fast and live off the extra fat I'm trying to get rid of. Gone multiple days no problem, makes packing easy too.

MH makes a line that has less salt and taste better but only last a year or so.

I just ordered 15 Peak meals. Heading to Costco and Walmart tomorrow for lunch snacks. Season opens here Friday, the 2nd in Colorado and then the 11th back in Arizona. I should lose about 15 pounds by October. Hunting is more important than food.. Ed F

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu