Banded Hen Scaup

Slayersmith

Aug 11, 2014
Shot this bird first thing Saturday Morning 11-11-17. Reported it on line and they have no info on it. Looks to be a pretty new band. Hope they send me the info soon.

Banded Hen Scaup 11-11-17.jpg Greater Scaup in book.jpg

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
I don't know much about divers, couple of people have said the banded bird is a Ring neck. They do look pretty close.Ring Neck duck in book.png

not a ring neck I shot one last week the beak has two white stripes on it. I have that same book they are awesome. Did you know that the beak of your duck will basically be the exact size of the one in the book.

Reactions: Slayersmith
The LeMaster method is a pretty awesome book. That's cool about the beak size in the book.

Definitely a scaup. Hen ringnecks are gray not brown. Also have a ring on the bill. Could you have misread or mistyped a number?

Reactions: Sigalert2012
Aaron,

My cousin got the same response about a honker he shot in Montana last year.....No record of bird.....The bander did had not turned in the info yet.....A year later, he got the info sent to him.....It too was a newer looking recent band.

Finally got the info back on the Scaup
Too young to fly when banded
Banded in Red Rock Lakes NWR in Montana on 9/9/17 shot 11/11/17

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
DUTV has an episode this year banding scaup in SW Montana. You might be able to see your bird caught in a pen lol.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu