Bear Archery Opener ‘23

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Time to see if the work pays off. Leaving tonight to head up the mountain. I have spent alot of time over the summer here, been maintaining cams since memorial day and know the area like the back of my hand. Dont know what else i could of done to prepare. Weather coming in so need to get it done early Sat. Going to be at 7k’ and currently showing 50% chance of rain Sat afternoon. Going to spend tomorrow brushing in the blinds and checking my SD cards one last time. Once saturday rolls around just need to check the wind and choose a blind, hopefully. Should have some signal up there and will update as I go. Was originally planning being up there friday to tuesday but things may get sketchy with thunderstorms. May have to pull off the mountain once it starts and return after it passes. I am stoked about the cooler weather 50low and 70high, 10 degrees cooler than what was forcasted earlier in the week. I added two flu flu arrows with blunts for quail to my quiver which i will most likely lose. Best of luck to the other archers heading out. Going to be fun regardless.

Show that big dummy who the boss is trapper!! Be the arrow! .I never hunt above 1500 ft...even at that I'm winded.(if I get out of the truck) .good luck fellas..I'm sending mojo !!

Reactions: TrapLine
Got out there friday and pulled the SD cards. The pics were all does and fawns, the bears seemed to have disappeared but every tree in that drainage was freshly torn apart, like bright yellow. I like those portable panel blinds, get them under the evergreens and oak brush and they blend in really well in the dark shady areas. We are working our way to the bottom of this mountain, I think there are giants are down there, there ain't no trail that's for sure.

intothebowl.png

I swear this spot has gardeners, shrubs and berry bush's all trimmed neatly back. We have blinds setup on both sides depending on wind direction but we could not get a prevailing wind with this storm moving in to save our lives. It would just all of the sudden shift 10mph in another direction.

berriesgardeningservice.png

We got Setup in the Blind on Saturday morning. After about 5 hours in the blind I tried some distress calling with a mouth call. Still nothing so we decided to get up and see if we could bump anything in the drainage and stretch our legs. We stated following all the chewed up trees down but I need to buy some crampons, this 1 inch layer of gravel is some slippery shit. I think spikes would help a lot. Without a trekking pole I would of slid to the bottom, a couple of times. My range finder says 33 degree slope. Those lines look so much easier on the topo map.

slipperyslope.png

Rain was supposed to start at 7pm so we started hiking back up the mountain, we cut a pretty worn down deer trail so we followed it till we started bumping deer out of their beds. Filing that away till next month.

Bowhunting is hard, I hiked with coffee cup in hand over the first mile before i traded it for a trekking pole. At lease the back packs are empty for the most part.

gottohavemycoffee.png

Waiting out the storm and then back on the mountain on Tuesday. Half Time and 0-0 going into the locker room.

Got out there friday and pulled the SD cards. The pics were all does and fawns, the bears seemed to have disappeared but every tree in that drainage was freshly torn apart, like bright yellow. I like those portable panel blinds, get them under the evergreens and oak brush and they blend in really well in the dark shady areas. We are working our way to the bottom of this mountain, I think there are giants are down there, there ain't no trail that's for sure.

View attachment 59407

I swear this spot has gardeners, shrubs and berry bush's all trimmed neatly back. We have blinds setup on both sides depending on wind direction but we could not get a prevailing wind with this storm moving in to save our lives. It would just all of the sudden shift 10mph in another direction.

View attachment 59408

We got Setup in the Blind on Saturday morning. After about 5 hours in the blind I tried some distress calling with a mouth call. Still nothing so we decided to get up and see if we could bump anything in the drainage and stretch our legs. We stated following all the chewed up trees down but I need to buy some crampons, this 1 inch layer of gravel is some slippery shit. I think spikes would help a lot. Without a trekking pole I would of slid to the bottom, a couple of times. My range finder says 33 degree slope. Those lines look so much easier on the topo map.

View attachment 59409

Rain was supposed to start at 7pm so we started hiking back up the mountain, we cut a pretty worn down deer trail so we followed it till we started bumping deer out of their beds. Filing that away till next month.

Bowhunting is hard, I hiked with coffee cup in hand over the first mile before i traded it for a trekking pole. At lease the back packs are empty for the most part.

View attachment 59412

Waiting out the storm and then back on the mountain on Tuesday. Half Time and 0-0 going into the locker room.

Good report, well except for no bear. keep on keeping on. There is one out there with your name on his back.

Drew the Cañada de San Vicente ER Dove Hunt on 9/9 and I Drew Overton WMA Dove Hunt in Nevada on 9/1. I got two days to kill this bear, now I know the pressure popeyoung is feeling at 12.8K feet...... Going in.

You have a very long bear season. Its not even close to over. Keep at it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu