Bear print in CNF

rbduffer

Dec 15, 2014
Fallbrook
Hey Guys,
I was scouting the CNF in San Mateo Canyon in a very thickly covered, semi dry creek when I saw prints from deer, raccoon, mountain lion and then this one. Does anyone else think this looks like a bear track? The interweb tells me that there has not been a confirmed sighting since 2001. Any of you seen anything, or what do you make of this track?
Thanks for any input.

Appears to be soft sand. So, there should have been nail marks....5 toes looks like it shouldn't be a big cat....How big were they and were there more.....Bear tracks front & back are different.

ps.....Had this conversation with a biologist (SB/Riverside Co.) at the super bowl party....Rare that bears cross over Int. 10....He also stated, they've never released problem bears in the CNF.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 229
  • cougpr3.jpg
    cougpr3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 231
My fault, guys. I was breaking in my new boots.

Attachments

• 8e938707a6738a48d92d7e54f1c27740_1_c_595x0.jpg
    8e938707a6738a48d92d7e54f1c27740_1_c_595x0.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 227
ilovesprig said:
Appears to be soft sand. So, there should have been nail marks....5 toes looks like it shouldn't be a big cat....How big were they and were there more.....Bear tracks front & back are different.

ps.....Had this conversation with a biologist (SB/Riverside Co.) at the super bowl party....Rare that bears cross over Int. 10....He also stated, they've never released problem bears in the CNF.

I first saw the track on Friday, (no claw marks), and came back on Saturday with my camera (and a bigger gun, just in case). The wet sand had degraded some in that one day, so I thought that the claw marks may have have degraded before I first got there. The track is about 4 1/2" square, I should have put a dollar bill down for scale. Everywhere else around there was either too wet or too hard for me to see more tracks. This track was an inch bigger than both of the 4 toed lion tracks I saw.

The Palm portion looks like the front paw of a cat, but too many toes for a cat. Maybe it's a birth defect. Everything else about it is cat-like.

0f96c2264ec4a0470c76664de4e703b9.jpg

Like mentioned before the rear paws on bears are different from their front...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were bear cubs found in De Luz sometime mid 2000s. There was some speculation that they could have got their through human intervention, but who knows. That could be the sow that gave birth to those de Luz cubs...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nicapopolis said:
There were bear cubs found in De Luz sometime mid 2000s. There was some speculation that they could have got their through human intervention, but who knows. That could be the sow that gave birth to those de Luz cubs...

Nick,

I think my friend mentioned that episode.....She was killed.....Leaving no females west of 10.....He said there were 2 males.

Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like we got a cat with a thumb or the mystery ghost bear! I'll keep my eyes out.

DrK said:
Too clean and even...

I'll second that. Depth of print is very even.
As much as I'd love to have bear in Northern SD county. I think these are just my wishful thinking making impressions in the sand.

I don't know if that is a bear track but I've heard rumors of them on private property up near Julian

D16hunter said:
I don't know if that is a bear track but I've heard rumors of them on private property up near Julian

There's probably been a couple in the last 100 yrs.....Remember, black bears are not even native to Big Bear. Introduced from Yosemite in 1933.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj75taTtvDKAhUnFqYKHfJWDRAQFgguMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.latimes.com%2Flocal%2Fla-me-adv-bad-news-bears-20130805-dto-htmlstory.html&usg=AFQjCNHoY8aoi5j8ZbolmIlZ_YCNwTD20A

D16hunter said:

I know there has been speculation in the past of areas north of Palomar Mountain.

I couldn't imagine them just hanging out on "private" property. There would be some overlap with the public lands and Indian reservations as well.

Trig you may know this, what are some of the bigger private properties in that area? A couple thousand acres? Or in the 10s of thousands?

maybe its this bear..
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2013/feb/04/black-bear-spotted/

ivhunter said:
maybe its this bear..
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2013/feb/04/black-bear-spotted/
Haha I was just gonna post if anyone ever heard anything about that.. I remember that when it came out. Pretty skeptical of a black bear cruising the Jacumba desert.

There was one shot on the reservation in Mesa Grande several years ago and one of the local ranchers up here has told me that is at least one in the Julian area. I've never seen any evidence of them where I live.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu