Beaver

Never have, but the DHC-2 is legendary (despite being a Canadian product) for its bullet proof design and ability to operate in hostile environments. They only built about 1600+ aircraft and stop building them in the late 1960's. Apparently there is a company (Viking Air) who has been the savior, keeping this aircraft alive with parts etc. It is one of the Canadian's best aircraft achievements.

The DHC-2 likely the best bush plane in existence. Though, the Cessna 206 and the Piper PA-18 Super Cub have to be right there with it!

Pretty cool Ed. @Snake Charmer probably has been in one.

I wish I was going to AK our trip was supposed to be a month out. I check the Brooks Range weather daily just to make myself feel bad.

Reactions: JakeSCH
De Havilland is a legendary company. Came out of Britain before the second world war. The aircraft of current fame for them is the Beaver powered by a Pratt & Whitney radial engine that is known for its reliability and power and been around forever. In wartime Dehavilland was known for the Mosquito twin engine attack aircraft powered by Rowyles Royce v-12 engines with superchargers and the supermarine spitfire that earned ther're marks for the British. The Mosquito was primarily built of plywood because of the shortage of metal. Because of this it was less recognizable to radar and had a very high top speed (over 440 mph). It was built in many versions from bomber to attack aircraft with most of it assigened missions to strike key points to cripple the enemy infrastructure and allow the big force to advance. IMO the British built two the the most cosmetically beautiful aircraft ever built , The Spitfire built by supermarine and the Mosquito from De Havilland, The US built better performace aircraft but the British built the most eye pleasing aircraft at that point in time that got the job done.. None got the job much better than the other unless it came to mission 's performed

Get some!!!!

never a beaver but did do a otter up in Alaska, Never forget the pilot as we were flying in crap weather calls out... just a FYI to everyone our airspeed is 120kts and our ground speed is 50kts... do the math :O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu