Bedding compound

Eric pecan

Jun 11, 2013
glendale ca
What are you using? just received my HS stock from the brown pant guy and have to ask you guy's whats best out there to adhere to the aluminum block.
Anything better than JBweld?

Marine Tex and Devcon seem to be the most popular ones to use for bedding. I've read many, many posts about JB Weld, and haven't seen anything describing issues with it. Having bedded a couple rifles with JB Weld, and a couple with Devcon, I can say that Devcon is harder when it dries, and is more abrasion resistant.

I have also repaired an aluminum AR lower that I totally screwed up by partially refilling the fire control pocket and re-machining it. The epoxy bonded well to the aluminum, but it has not been put to the test yet (I just assembled it last week). My expectation is that it will do well, but time will tell.

I say all that to say this: as long as you get a good bond between the aluminum and the epoxy (whichever epoxy you choose), I think it will do well. To get a good mechanical bond, rough up the surface of the aluminum with heavy grit sandpaper, maybe even drill holes in it, then clean it very well with the something like acetone (be careful using it around plastic stocks, as it can destroy certain plastics).

Good luck!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu